Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Optigen and the prcd-PRA Bahamas test

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_impmessage.html

Re: Optigen and the prcd-PRA Bahamas test

If they lowered their prices the would be able to compete and keep all the US testing in the US>

JMO

Re:LOWER THE PRICE!!!!

I agree lower the prices!
I am sure with the thousands of Labradors tested that by now they should begin to lower the price.
At this time I have 4 dogs need to be tested. I will use the foreign test because I can save allot of money and that equates into being able to spend more on dog food!

Why on earth should they lower the price? They had to pay for research for this other company to rake in the cash on THEIR test.

I'd be ashamed to say if I had tested anywhere other than optigen, but then, isn't this exactly what is wrong with the world?

Re: Re: Optigen and the prcd-PRA Bahamas test

We have used and supported Optigen. Why can't, with the economy we do some testing with the other company. Do you think the cars we drive, the TV's and phones we use are from the good old USA. We could only wish. We look for cheaper medicine for ourselves, why not take advantage of this for testing more of our dogs ?

They should lower their price as they ORIGINALLY said it would only cost about 50 bucks to begin with, they LIED, why the heck should we be loyal to them when they aren't loyal to us? They are only in it to MAKE MONEY, they could care less about our dogs, especially because of them lots of people nuetered and spayed many GREAT dogs! I'll use the other company over them ANYDAY and NOT be ashamed at all!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Why on earth should they lower the price? They had to pay for research for this other company to rake in the cash on THEIR test.

I'd be ashamed to say if I had tested anywhere other than optigen, but then, isn't this exactly what is wrong with the world?

"Why on earth should they lower the price? They had to pay for research for this other company to rake in the cash on THEIR test."

Of course they should lower their price if they are expected to make any money at all. The canine genome has been mapped for quite some time. With research any team can isolate a gene responsible for a simple recessive trait like prcdPRA. It was only a matter of time before another company repeated the procedure and offered the test. There are several companies who offer coat color genome mapping correct? You can't and should not hold a patent on finding a gene - it doesn't make sense. Also monopolies don't serve the people.

"I'd be ashamed to say if I had tested anywhere other than optigen, but then, isn't this exactly what is wrong with the world?"

Really? Why? Do you know how pharmaceutical companies work? They suppress the research of smaller companies in order to make money on the products they have to offer even if it means that people suffer.

What is wrong with this world is a company like Optigen breaking out with an inferior and inaccurate test in order to make money and then charging an exorbitant amount of money for a test that costs pennies to run.

What's the name of the other company?, or what is their web?

I'll go where it's cheapest. Dr. A doesn't need my support. He's already doing quite well and won't miss me.

So, do you not buy generic drugs for yourself when they are available?????

I'm sure your health care insurance insists on it!
Mine does, Blue Cross/Shield.

Isn't it the same concept???

Re: Re: Re: Optigen and the prcd-PRA Bahamas test

We have already paid for there research on Optigen, it is time they lower there prices. There are other breeds of dogs that have this Optigen testing, so I would say with all the breeds and all the testing that is done, Optigen needs to come down with the price they charge. It is free enterprise and if a company has to go, off shore to do testing, more power to them They figured out a way to get the testing done at a reasonable rate and that is the American way, my congratulations to them

What other company are you talking about?

Link

http://www.ingen.bs/

I plan to use them first of the year. I like the test method, fluorescent tags are very specific.

LM

Very well said and oh so true Sharon!
Aloha,
Jackie

Replying to:

"Why on earth should they lower the price? They had to pay for research for this other company to rake in the cash on THEIR test."

Of course they should lower their price if they are expected to make any money at all. The canine genome has been mapped for quite some time. With research any team can isolate a gene responsible for a simple recessive trait like prcdPRA. It was only a matter of time before another company repeated the procedure and offered the test. There are several companies who offer coat color genome mapping correct? You can't and should not hold a patent on finding a gene - it doesn't make sense. Also monopolies don't serve the people.

"I'd be ashamed to say if I had tested anywhere other than optigen, but then, isn't this exactly what is wrong with the world?"

Really? Why? Do you know how pharmaceutical companies work? They suppress the research of smaller companies in order to make money on the products they have to offer even if it means that people suffer.

What is wrong with this world is a company like Optigen breaking out with an inferior and inaccurate test in order to make money and then charging an exorbitant amount of money for a test that costs pennies to run.

If anyone spayed or neutered any dog based on the first Optigen test, that is the fault of the owner, not Optigen. It was very clear that it was not the intent of Optigen to eliminate dogs from breeding program. Quite the contrary, actually. And, what's wrong with making money? Is it a sin and a crime? I would not have a problem with anyone using a different company. Competition is the American way! But, don't knock Optigen for trying to stay in business.

MAYBE BUSH WILL BAIL OPTIGEN OUT! LMFAO!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Optigen and the prcd-PRA Bahamas test

What? So someone once did R&D to discover the wheel. Lets say Ferrari holds the rights. Should there be a patent on it now and put all carmakers out of business? Do you have the money to only buy Ferrari's?

Very well said Devil!

The fact that the company has to do this test in the Bahamas shows that they know they are using a test that is patent protected elsewhere.

I'm not one for buying something that is a knock off or stolen material.

I'd rather choose the dogs I need to test wisely and watch for a 20/20 clinic rather than dealing with a company that is definitely trying to undercut a competitor in an underhanded way.

I disagree with this concept.
The reason they have to do it in the Bahamas is because Optigen has corned the market in the US making it illegal for another company to do the test here.
Monopoly is right!!

So what is the PRA test that Pawsitive ID in GA does?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Optigen and the prcd-PRA Bahamas test

No one is knocking optigen for trying to stay in business. They are knocking them because they did not do what they said they would as far as price for the test goes, they are PRICE GOUGING!

Replying to:

If anyone spayed or neutered any dog based on the first Optigen test, that is the fault of the owner, not Optigen. It was very clear that it was not the intent of Optigen to eliminate dogs from breeding program. Quite the contrary, actually. And, what's wrong with making money? Is it a sin and a crime? I would not have a problem with anyone using a different company. Competition is the American way! But, don't knock Optigen for trying to stay in business.

I'm sorry but there is no cornering the market to it. Optigen has the test patented and they have gone to the Bahamas to get around the law which is recognized in most of the civilized world. What you do is your business but I am wary of a company with this kind of ethics.