Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question about deposits?

We were going to place one of our older dogs. Couple came to look at the dog - we liked the family - they said they wanted her - we took a deposit. We were supposed to get together with them tomorrow for them to take her.

They decided not to take her because she eats poop. I told them I would give the deposit back, but now I'm wondering if we should deduct the vet visit for the Health Certificate that will no longer be valid. I will eat the snap test and fecal, but thought that I might deduct the cost of the health certificate from the deposit that we will return.

But then again, is it worth it?

Any thoughts?

Re: Question about deposits?

I personally wouldn't give the deposit back. I know I will probably get flamed for that but it really makes me angry when people agree to put a deposit down on a dog and then have no hesitation about changing their mind later. Especially for such a stupid reason. To me that means you lose your deposit. Isn't that what it is for? I can't think of anything else in life that you can put a deposit on and then cancel later and get your deposit back.

They wouldn't get my dog or their deposit back.

I think you just answered your own question.
Be glad she didn't go to that family who can't accept a poop eating Lab

Re: Re: Question about deposits?

They only gave me the deposit a week ago - otherwise I'd have second thoughts about giving it back-with or without deducting the exam fee for the health certificate.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I personally wouldn't give the deposit back. I know I will probably get flamed for that but it really makes me angry when people agree to put a deposit down on a dog and then have no hesitation about changing their mind later. Especially for such a stupid reason. To me that means you lose your deposit. Isn't that what it is for? I can't think of anything else in life that you can put a deposit on and then cancel later and get your deposit back.

They wouldn't get my dog or their deposit back.

Did they know she ate poop before the deposit was received or not? I think it is that simple. If they knew about it and gave the deposit, then keep your expenses. If they found out about the poop eating after, and changed their mind, give them a full refund. I think it is a legitimate reason to not want the dog.

Don't all Labs eat poop?

I told them up front. Other than that, she is wonderful.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Did they know she ate poop before the deposit was received or not? I think it is that simple. If they knew about it and gave the deposit, then keep your expenses. If they found out about the poop eating after, and changed their mind, give them a full refund. I think it is a legitimate reason to not want the dog.

I would give then their deposit back, what's the big deal?
If you give it back they will tell 5 people what a nice person you are, if you don't give it back they will tell 25, 50, who ever will listen what a cheat and crook they dealt with.

I have NEVER had a Labrador that did not eat poop! Give the deposit back as people talk and most love to complain.

Re: Re: Re: Question about deposits?

I would give it back. Do the right thing. Keep looking for a great home. Next family will not care at all. Lots of them eat poop. Big deal !

And there there is you. If you keep the deposit, you will continue grumbling and feeling annoyed. If you refund the deposit, you will feel generous and considerate.

I would consider keeping the deposit in entirety, no doubt about keeping the health certificate cost. A deposit is a commitment to the purchase. If it was a big emergency like one of their kids just died in a accident and they want to wait on the dog, I would be more sympethetic. This is not the case. These people are probally dirty people. A clean person would keep the yard picked up of poohs so this would never be a problem. IF THERE ARE NO POOHS ON THE GROUND, THERE IS NONE TO EAT. Do you think if they went to a car dealership for a car and put a deposit down, do you think its refundable? NO .... YOu went and got the health certificate based on their commitment by a deposit. Its their responsibility to pay for that, no question! You could have turned down others during that week being the dog was sold so now you will continue expense of feeding and boarding. Keep the deposit.

Yeah, especially those yummy frozen poopsicles. Those are the best !!

Re: Re: Re: Question about deposits?

I'd just give the deposit back. It will pay more in the long run and you won't have to lay awake thinking about it in the middle of the night.

Give it back and be done with it. Is it really worth the hassle. At least you know you spared your dog from living with jerks.

I would hope they would not even ask for it back knowing you had a health exam etc done as part of the sale.

Be careful about deposits, as each area or country has there LAWS that govern deposits and what the person is actually entitled too.( refund or merchandise).