Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potty area for whelping box?

I was wondering about favorite materials to use in the whelping box potty area?

We've been using shredded uninked newspaper, for past litters, but it can be messy. Am considering alternatives. Have mixed feelings about pine shavings, and won't consider using sod nor those reusable puppy pads, that some have been happy with.

Any other favorites? Was wondering about the horse pellets primarily I guess.

Re: Potty area for whelping box?

I have used the pine shavings and now use the horse pellets. I love them and will alwys use them now. Not near as messy as the shavings and I have never had a problem with puppies trying to eat them.

Re: Re: Potty area for whelping box?

I have a horse too, but have only used shavings and peanut hulls. Where do you get the pellets? I haven't seen them before. Are they bagged or do you have to buy them by the load?

I use the newspaper pellets - Yesterdays News. The bag packaged for cats is less expensive!

I used Equine Fresh with my last litter (I think someone on this board actually recommended it - THANK YOU!). I found it at Tractor Supply. I used the plastic pan that goes in the bottom of a rabbit cage to contain the pellets. It was just the right height to contain most of the mess, yet allow little ones to toddle in. When I first introduced this, the pups slid a little on the pellets, so I put newspaper on top for just a couple of days.

Oh, and no problems with puppies eating pellets here either.

We have used the horse pellets for the past year. They are great. No problems with puppies trying to eat them. Best brand we found so far is manufactured by Guardian. They decompose quicker and fluff bigger. The dust from the shavings would really bother me. I can only imagine how much it must have bothered the puppies. Up side is the clean up is so much less. I would change the shavings twice a day when they got older. Not necessary with this. You can spruce up the potty area and only change every other day (ours is pretty big). Try it, you'll like it.

I used Equine Fresh. LOVED it. Easy to clean up and kept odor down. Available at most farm supply stores. Fourty pound bag and under $6 a bag. I purchased my first three bags for $4 on sale.

Re: Re: Potty area for whelping box?

This Equine stuff sounds great. I'm going to try it with my next litter.

Re: Re: Re: Potty area for whelping box?

I had tried the Woody's Pet Bedding and had problems. The dust caused weepy eyes and a cough. I switched to pine shavings and the pup's eyes cleared up. I can use Woody's in well ventilated areas but not in a closed area. I will look up the Equine Fresh.

Re: Re: Re: Potty area for whelping box?

The horse pellets are called Equine Fresh. We get them at Tractor Supply. They are bagged, I think about $6-7 for a 30 pound bag. I love them

Re: Re: Re: Re: Potty area for whelping box?

Thanks, Elizabeth. I have used shavings before, but I think I am going to try these this time.

A little warning about shavings. My last girl came home and was selectively choosing my boys' beds as her favourite bathroom area.

I couldn't figure it out, until I put together that they're stuffed with cedar chips. I think that she found the scent similar to the shavings and was attracted. Given the number of pet owners with this beds, shavings wouldn't be my first choice.

I've used shredded newspaper for many years. Tried pine shavings but when newspapers are "free" (after I've read them) and work just as well, I still opt for paper. I collect them all year long; have a special shelf in the garage to stack them. I carry an armload in each day, stand over the puppy pen potty box and shred them by hand. No biggie. Also have a friend who brings me bags of shredded papers from her workplace. That's a real gift on busy days when I have to be out of the house early in the morning. It's all free and the pups seem to train themselves within a few days. That's the best part.