Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deposits

I know this will probably offend a few people but please be open minded and think seriously about what I am saying before you disregard it or think I am trying to cause trouble. This is a legitimate issue and I want to sincerely ask people to try and make it better with one simple request.

For those of you who have a policy to refund deposits, my simple request is: STOP taking deposits! A deposit is never supposed to be refunded, it is a payment towards the purchase of something which guarantees that the purchaser will pay the balance at an agreed upon date. A deposit is offered because the purchaser is committing to the purchase and proving that by giving a portion of the purchase price, knowing they will lose that money if they do not pay the balance when they take the item. If the you refund a deposit then then it is all just a silly exercise in taking someone's money for no reason.

PLEASE! For the sake of those who do take deposits in the correct context, stop accepting a deposit if you are going to refund it. There should be no "refundable" or "non-refundable" deposit confusion. A deposit is a deposit and if you waste someone's time making a deposit and then change your mind, you know you are choosing to forfeit the deposit as well.

Long story short. If you want to accept deposits - fine. Don't give them back if people change their minds. It just makes it confusing for the purchasers and harder on those who don't refund deposits. If you wouldn't keep the deposit - then don't ask for one.

Re: Deposits

Simple question? What do the laws say about this? Is each state different then others? I would think the legal reason comes first, before you state that you shouldn't refund a deposit or should you refund a deposit?

If what you are saying is valid, then that deposit also obligates you to sell them a puppy, since they have already paid for part of it. What if something happens to make you change your mind?

I have had it happen to me and yes it does hurt my feelings. I try not to be thin or thick skinned but it is nice to acknowledged.

sorry wrong post.........

Deposits can always be refunded under certain conditions. I won't stop taking them.

It does not offend me but the best thing you can do is do what you think best and those of us that are more than willing to refund deposits will continue to do what we think is best for ourselves, potential Labrador owners, and yes....our babies. Refunding a small deposit is a very small price to pay for a satisfied person who changed their mind and the assurance our puppy will eventually be in a home where he is wanted.

You are correct.

In the real estate world, it is called "earnest money". It allows the owner to take the property off the market and not have a total loss on advertising, etc.

Is not refundable. You renig- you lose your depostit.

Respectfully then I ask you WHY do you even require a deposit if you intend on refunding it should someone change their mind?

I understand completely that you want to allow people to change their mind without a penalty but wouldn't that be easier if you never required a deposit in the first place???

Re: Re: Deposits

I don't want someone to take a pup if they don't really want it. I do like to have a deposit so that I have a sense of commitment from a buyer. I only take deposits once the litter is a few days old and then take deposits for the sex minus one male and one female so that I have my option available. If someone changes their mind within that next 6-7 weeks after sending their deposit, I will refund the deposit but by that time they very seldom change their mind, see sentence #1.

My deposit is non-refundable after 3 days or after the pups are 3 days old, whichever is later. Then it is refundable if I can't give them a puppy for any reason. The deposit can be used on a future puppy.

A deposit shows a commitment that there has been quite a bit of thought put into the responsibility of a puppy. It also commits us to the family that they will get a puppy from a specific litter. It makes both of us feel comfortable.
"We say" the deposit is non refundable up until the puppies are 5 weeks old but have never failed to refund if we are asked.
This is our feelings, it has worked pretty good for almost 20 years now and do not plan on changing. We do not keep a waiting list, only take deposits once we do the breeding.
We asked, this is our reasoning.

I've had two breeders keep deposits on me, both before the breeding. They were in a real hurry for the deposit to "hold" the puppy. After further consideration I changed my mind, both refused to return the deposit. It says alot about the breeder. I knew, with or without having the money returned, I made the right decision to cut ties with both breeders. I will return deposits. I want the best homes for my babies and a good relationship with the puppy buyers. How a breeder can justify keeping money before they have even done the breeding is beyond me, I felt like I was robbed and have no problem warning people about both breeders.

I find it strange that twice you went as far as sending money for a puppy and then asked for it back. Maybe you need to better think things through. Might it be you just enjoy the fun of the hunt for a nice puppy? I have to agree it can be interesting but please stopand think if you are ready.

I take deposits just to see the level of commitment but always return them.

One wonders why you are so concerned how other breeders handle their deposits.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I know this will probably offend a few people but please be open minded and think seriously about what I am saying before you disregard it or think I am trying to cause trouble. This is a legitimate issue and I want to sincerely ask people to try and make it better with one simple request.

For those of you who have a policy to refund deposits, my simple request is: STOP taking deposits! A deposit is never supposed to be refunded, it is a payment towards the purchase of something which guarantees that the purchaser will pay the balance at an agreed upon date. A deposit is offered because the purchaser is committing to the purchase and proving that by giving a portion of the purchase price, knowing they will lose that money if they do not pay the balance when they take the item. If the you refund a deposit then then it is all just a silly exercise in taking someone's money for no reason.

PLEASE! For the sake of those who do take deposits in the correct context, stop accepting a deposit if you are going to refund it. There should be no "refundable" or "non-refundable" deposit confusion. A deposit is a deposit and if you waste someone's time making a deposit and then change your mind, you know you are choosing to forfeit the deposit as well.

Long story short. If you want to accept deposits - fine. Don't give them back if people change their minds. It just makes it confusing for the purchasers and harder on those who don't refund deposits. If you wouldn't keep the deposit - then don't ask for one.

My thinking is just like Gregg. I don't want someone to take a pup if something has come up. I will always refund a deposit. Like him don't take a deposit until the pups are here and I have the sex and color you ask for. This is not a business, this is a loving animal we are talking about. Why would you take someones money if they became sick or changed job, etc. Stuff happens.

"One wonders why you are so concerned how other breeders handle their deposits."

Because people who take a so called "deposit" and make it refundable make it very difficult for those who consider a deposit to be what it is in every other area. NONREFUNDABLE. Deposits are only a commitment to purchase something if you don't get it back when you change your mind. How does taking a refundable deposit detour anyone? They can just get it back if they find something better or sooner.

I am not suggesting that anyone force someone into taking a puppy they don't want. Just wondering why you would want a deposit if you will just give it back when someone asks. And trying to point out that this way of doing things makes others look and feel bad when someone points out that so-and-so breeder returns their deposits. My point is why do they even ask for them then???? Why not leave the whole deposit thing up to those who are actually considering it a firm commitment with repercussions when a purchaser backs out - like it is in every other purchase.

>>>I find it strange that twice you went as far as sending money for a puppy and then asked for it back. Maybe you need to better think things through. Might it be you just enjoy the fun of the hunt for a nice puppy? I have to agree it can be interesting but please stopand think if you are ready.>>>>

If a puppy buyer wants to back out two times or ten times that should be their perogative if, for whatever reason, they do not feel comfortable with a particular breeder or breeding, especially when a deposit is expected so soon. That puppy buyer gave the breeders more than ample time to find homes. Keeping a deposit before a breeding even took place, is thievery. Bad breeders in my book. Sounds to me like the puppy buyer made the right decision 2 times.

After over 50 years in purebred dogs I've never taken nor paid a deposit. I don't believe in them nor do many reputable breeders.

If you need a deposit to hold on to your buyer than probably your buyer isn't a great choice of a home for your pup.

We're not selling real estate - we are selling living, caring, wonderful beings.

Re: Re: Re: Deposits

i couldnt agree more i never take deposits,, LeeAnne