Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Appetite after c-section

Just had a large litter of 12. My girl had to be c- sectioned and ll is going well, but she does not have an increase in appetite. She eats well in the morning and I have more than doubled her regular food amount. Any suggestions to make her appetite increas?

Re: Appetite after c-section

As long as she is eating don't worry. The first few days aren't a huge drain on the system. After 2 or 3 days the milk will come in and she will start eating like crazy. Just leave a bowl of food out for her to free-feed for now. Also make sure she has plenty of water.

Re: Re: Appetite after c-section

Thanks so much for your information! I will start free feeding her and see how it goes.

Re: Appetite after c-section

.... fluids are important. Is she drinking enough? Try giving her warm water with just a bit of skim milk (or milk replacer), just enough to color the water. My girls love it.

Re: Re: Appetite after c-section

I added goats milk to my girls water. Just a big squirt to the bowl. Also canned tripe to her kibble, or cooked eggs, or cooked chicken. yum. Pups are two weeks old and she is mostly getting just her regular kibble now, with some added yogurt. Still likes the milk in the water, but is less likely to stick her nose up at plain water which she did for the first week or so.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

.... fluids are important. Is she drinking enough? Try giving her warm water with just a bit of skim milk (or milk replacer), just enough to color the water. My girls love it.