Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recommendations please...

What do you think is the best reference book for breeding labs?

TIA

Re: Recommendations please...

https://www.ourdogs.co.uk/acatalog/LABRADOR_RETRIEVER.html

I would recommend Dorothy Howe's and Jim Nolan's books

Re: Re: Recommendations please...

And also:

Anna Katherine Nicholas Book - The Book of the Labrador Retriever

Hey, thank you very much for that link. Is there an entire book written for breeding? I'm looking for something that has a lot of information mainly on breeding and not just a chapter. Thanks again.

Reaching for the Stars by Williams

I would honestly suggest to find a mentor who has been breeding for a long long time - I don't believe there is just one book fully dedicated to breeding. And what better than to have someone a phone call away, rather than chapters away. hehe.

Do you mean the physical act of breeding/whelping? Or do you mean managing a breeding program - choosing the right stud dog, researching health info, pedigrees, etc...? If it's the former, I like "Canine Reproduction" by Phyllis Holt. If the latter, I'd pick up a copy of "Reaching For The Stars" if you don't have "Advanced Labrador Breeding" by Mary Roslin Williams - the bible for guiding a breeding program.

I'm looking for a reference book for someone that I'm mentoring. Does anyone have a review of this book: "Canine Reproduction and Whelping" by Savant-harris?

The Book of the Bitch: A Complete Guide to Understanding and Caring for Bitches

Canine Reproduction: The Breeder's Guide [Hardcover] by Holst, Phyllis A.

The Whelping and Rearing of Puppies: A Complete and Practical Guide

The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog

Canine Reproduction: The Breeder's Guide [Hardcover] by Holst, Phyllis A.

Yes, thank you "santa's helper" this is what I was looking for!

Myra Savant-harris also has this book "Puppy Intensive Care: A breeders guide to care of newborn puppies". Any reviews on this one would be appreciated also.

What santa's little helper said....

Practical Guide to Dog Breeding published by Royal Canin.
Canine Reproduction by Royal Canin
The Whelping And Rearing of Puppies by Muriel P. Lee

Our club just had a Myra Savant seminar.
It was incredible. I feel much more confident and better prepared now about having my next litter.
The books are fantastic. You can get them from her website. If you can get to a seminar don't miss it. She is also quite fun!! There was never a boring minute. Worth every penny!!!!
Her two books are:
-Canine Reproduction and Whelping
and
-Puppy Intensive Care
Reading these books, or attending a seminar can save a pups life for sure.

Her website is myrasavantharris.com

Sorry if I sound like a commercial but it was that good!

I know this isn't exactly an answer to your question, but here is my two cents:

The best resources are flesh and blood living and breathing, other breeders who have been at it much longer than you.

I read every book possible, but I learned more from Diane Pilbin, Michael and Huguette Beattie, and Kendall Herr than I could ever possibly say thank you for enough.

People who care about and love this breed are always your BEST resource. They want your success as much as you do yourself.

Best regards,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

It's only a Christmas present .

Re: Re: Re: Recommendations please...

My recommendation is Canine Reproductin by Phyllis Holst. Ellie

The Whelping and Rearing of Puppies A Complete and Practical Guide by Muriel P. Lee Published by Plantin Press P O Box 580368 Minneapolis Mn 55458-0368 A Scottie breeeder but book is excellent. Ellie

'The Book of the Bitch: A Complete Guide to Understanding and Caring for Bitches

Canine Reproduction: The Breeder's Guide [Hardcover] by Holst, Phyllis A."

I LOVED the book of the bitch. Phyllis A's book went it to a lot of detail. I found it hard to get also.

How about a gift certificate to a book store then they can buy the one they want?
Just an idea.

Canine Reproduction by Holst should be available new or used on Amazon.com.

It's a good book. I would have the person you're mentoring Google each word they don't understand, print it all, read the printed terminology words & then read the book again.

It's a really good book to also keep on hand after the puppers arrive for reference.

Ellie--That was a good referral!