Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bladder Stones

A 9 year old pet bitch has been treated for several bladder infections over her life time. This time the vet decided to do an ultrasound instead of just treat the infection and noticed the stones. They opened her up that day and they found 100+ stones!

Has anyone had any experience with bladder stones? Obviously she'll need a change in diet, any other thoughts?

TIA

Re: Bladder Stones

Kelly, what type of stones were they? That makes a difference. You probably will need to Ph test her urine once a week in the future. Different types of crystals and stones grow in Alkaline or Acid urine.

Make sure you offer plenty of water at all times, and add lots of water to the food.

They were Struvite.

Re: Re: Bladder Stones

Struvites are formed in an alkaline environment. Make sure your girl has lots of water at all times. Stuvites are common with bladder infections, which occur in an alkaline environment.

Diet and lots of water and frequent availability to potty will help a lot. Normal Ph is 7.0, but that depends upon your dog as to what is normal. 6.0 to 6.5 is ok for the acidic side. Over 8.0 is alkaline.

I'm not a Vet nor giving out medical advice; I had Dalmatians for 15 years and stones and crystals are an anomaly to the breed. They learned to tinkle in a cup and I Ph-tested weekly. I was lucky never to have a stone-former (most common - urates in an acidic environment).

A high protein diet will result in a lower pH (more acidic) and a high vegetable diet or high carbs will result in a higher pH (more alkaline).

Re: Re: Bladder Stones

I had a girl that had the same experence once the surgery was done Vet. suggested to also do Distilled water. for the last year all went fine I gave her Cranactin pills which keeps her PH normal as I check it and if I don't do the pils the PH will go back up I took her off the distilled water for about 2 weeks and the little sand (starting of stones) started up put her back on the distilled water and she came back to be fine. Mind you I have a whole house filter?? I get urine checked ever 6 months never want that to happen again.