Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stupified

Ok, what would you do?
Beautiful stunning boy, prelim'd OFA good, passing elbows, Optigen A1, CERF, wonderful pedigree..... picture of health.
Just tested EIC affected

Re: Stupified

What's your concern? That people won't breed to your boy? That probably wasn't going to happen anyways.

Love him, show him, and get final OFA's on him, and if anyone comes to you looking for stud service, make sure your cards are all on the table.

No reason for the sad face.

Is this test a valid test? Is this a redux of the original Optigen Test?

Even though he is affected, he may never collapse. Not a life sentence.

"What's your concern? That people won't breed to your boy? That probably wasn't going to happen anyways."

WOW that was rude and cynical!

Re: Re: Stupified

No, it wasn't rude - it was REALITY. Only a handful of the boys out there actually get used.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

"What's your concern? That people won't breed to your boy? That probably wasn't going to happen anyways."

WOW that was rude and cynical!

This test wouldn't wash anything out of my breeding program as I've yet to be convinced it means much of anything. Obviously if he's collapsing it would be different, but if you believe the test, then you could only offer him at stud to EIC-clear bitches.

I'm of the opinion that many are that the gene they are testing for is only one of several genes that need to be present to get an actual collapse. I also think it was very premature to offer the test and pretty much tell people they found "a" gene, but not the whole story, but gee, give us your money so we can tell you something that may or may not mean anything!

Stunned, or anyone else with dogs who have two copies of the dynamin-1 gene (E/E) but have not collapsed, please email me privately.

You were very brave to do the test. I feel your pain. Hey, I just neutered and placed a dog I adored because he carries his tail too high.

Let's hope the owners of the top stud dogs will be as concerned about the future of the breed as you are.

I'll trade you.

EIC clear, Optigen Clear, elbows clear ... mild hip dysplasia.

Of our two boys only yours can be bred. You're the lucky one!!

I'll second that!!

Breed him to a clear only and move on knowing what you are dealing with in the future. That's what I'm doing with mine.

To Sorry: Give it up already!

Cynical, but realistic. In a breed that was not so popular, I once calculated that 75% of the breedings over a two years span I tracked were done by only 15 studs. The liklihood that any lovely dog with other clearances is going to be a "top stud" in demand is really against the odds. Without promotion and being in the right places, most males only get a few outside breedings in their lifetime.

If YOU want to use this boy as an adult and know the risks/rewards, then I don't see the problem. If others want to use him, then I'd recommend full disclosure - but I always recommend that just as a matter of habit It is so much easier to tell the full truth up front than to have people whisper rumors behind your back.

Retest once they have found the actual gene for EIC
and its a reliable, correct test!

No, he has never showed any signs of EIC at all.
I am truly devastated....

I am sorry Stunned 2 about your boy.

Thank you all who responded to my post sincerely. He is a lovely boy and I think I will keep him & show him selectively. Of course if anyone does ask about him I will give full discloser... I would expect the same of any stud dog I would inquire about.

Why isn't everyone testing?
I could be you!

I didn't mean to be rude, just realistic.

I did test my girls and my CH boy who has never been used at age 6, who passed all clearances.

"Why isn't everyone testing?
I could be you!"

What it could be me that has a dog that tests as having two copies of this identified gene yet my dog is very normal and active? That is a lot of people and that is why I am not testing.

I don't think you were rude either, I would only keep a boy if I though he could finish or wanted to use him in my breeding program. Disney is a nice place to visit, I just don't live there. :)

The jury is still out on a lot of this testing and it's future applications. IMO, you have two really good choices available. Keep him, use him on clear bitches and be up front about EIC test status. Or, you can freeze his semen, place him as a gorgeous pet neutered and when more is known about testing, you will still have access to "his stuff".

I feel your pain. Another of the joys of dog breeding... :(

Hang in there!

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest