Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do Judges Fault Older Dogs?

I have a pointed, 4 1/2 year old black bitch that's pre-maturely gray around the muzzle. I think she's lovely and would like to continue to show her but I'm wondering if judges are biased against gray hair -- thinking that the bitch is "too old." I know I can continue showing her for my own enjoyment but I want to try to win with her. Do you think she has a chance of winning? Would you continue to show her or work with another promising youngster?

Re: Do Judges Fault Older Dogs?

Hi, think it depends who the judge is....i have a 5.5 year old bitch that is a really nice bitch, has been a great producer and is put together nicely. she is a big bitch, so can really only show her at specialties, but the last couple years she has gotten really grey, and the last time she won at a specialty was 2nd in open black at a big specialty, but she was just starting...have show her at 5 specialties since then in open, and she hasn't placed. she is really grey around her muzzle now, and it seems to have effected her placement. i guess it would probably also matter if she has had puppies and looks broody also, or if she has never had puppies, i think that having puppies and even a big of sagging with the grey can make them look matronly.

Some of my bitches have had early gray. I don't think that it would bother a judge at all.

If you really think this is an issue, why not color the gray? They make wonderful non permanent hair colors that work very well- have used them on black & chocolate dogs in the past that spent too much time in the sun to help get rid of the sunburned look and they did the trick!

Re: Re: Do Judges Fault Older Dogs?

you dident just say that !!!!!!!!!!!!
look out.

Oh well, I agree, I just wouldent have said it because of what will follow.

You bet I'd show her! Either color with a permanent marker (sharpie) or get yourself some Just for Men. I think I would use the Sharpie on this particular area...Just for Men takes longer to dry and you have to worry about licking! Show your girl and GOOD LUCK with her!!!

Re: Re: Do Judges Fault Older Dogs?

Just remember that it's against AKC rules to color the hair.

As a judge and long time chocolate breeder, I am always very suspicious of a solid colored chocolate lab (all one color of brown). They due exist, but rarely.

I am also very aware of the AKC rule about changing the apperance of the dog. I have not put up good dogs due to "enhancements" in the coats that I could feel.

I have also put up older dogs with grey, if they were better than the other dogs in the class.

Also a note about magic markers -- they tend to give off a "blue" shine in some lights!!!

Jan

SHOW HER!! I just had a conversation with a friend about this. If she has everything else in that package that you like, get her out there!!