Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I saw Marley Last night!!

I saw Marley night and I really liked it. It's hard to keep the tears from coming at the end even if you read the book. My husband like it also. Nice job to all the dogs and puppies that were in the movie!!

Re: I saw Marley Last night!!

Curious. Was it easy for a lab savvy person to tell the difference between all the dogs they used to play adult Marley, or did they do a good job of using similar looking dogs? I know I have seen some labs in TV commercials, and you can see it is not the same dog from one scene to the next.

We saw it last night, also. It had not gotten great reviews, but had to see it and we took the grandchildren. We liked it. We laughed alot and yes, the end was pretty sad. My husband and daughter and I were all crying.

You could tell from one scene to another if they used a different dog, but it's understandable. I would recommend it - thought it was well done.

Re: Re: I saw Marley Last night!!

We seen it too, Loved it and yes could tell the difference between the dogs. Sad at end But we all have been there at one time or another . Came home and loved and Played a little hard after seing it.

I was going to take Mom to see it some time this weekend. I didn't read the book, so thanks mentioning the end is sad. I have to think now whether I really want to go see it. I cry at animal movies even when I know it isn't a true story. Have a senior yellow gal that we're taking things day to day, so it might be too emotional to handle right now.

Yes, a Lab savvy breeder can tell the difference. Wasn't that hard really. On scene Marley had a thin fine coat, the next scene - full coat.

Bring your tissues, it was a really good movie. I had to wait until half the credits were over before I could get up and move. I cried half the way home (which is a 40 minute drive for me).

I have a question for those of you who saw it. Did they have a scene where they lost a baby during pregnancy? It was in the book. I have a family member who just had a miscarriage and she and her husband want to go see it because they thought they needed to see something funny. I told them not to go see it because although there were funny scenes, there could be some sad ones too. Thanks.

Yes, they did lose a pregnancy early on. The little ones asked questions about that scene and the one at the end.

I loved the book. Was not crazy about the movie. And I will not be taking my 8 year old niece to see it.

Why? My children want to see it. Ages 13, 10 & 8.

Well I would guess taking her to see the movie would be up to her parents anyway so don't sweat it!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I loved the book. Was not crazy about the movie. And I will not be taking my 8 year old niece to see it.

Re: Re: Re: I saw Marley Last night!!

I would not take kids to see the movie...too much language and sensuality.

The movie seemed to be more about the couple's sex life than the dog. The book was about the guy and his dog and the dog's place in their life. The movie made the dog an "afterthought"...what a shame. I was dissappointed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I saw Marley Last night!!

I like the book and seen the movie loved both. They were a like except you were reading one and got to see the other and the same things took place in both. Hey that is what goes on in real life with married couples most 10 years olds today know more than most of us knew at 16 don't kid yourself..To graphic at end for us that have old ones but we all know the day will come just try not to think about .

I didn't care for the movie. And yes, you could see the differences between the dogs that they switched out.

Movies are a source of entertainment, you should go to enjoy the movie... not to over analyze the differences in the dogs used to play Marley, it is not a documentary.

15 years ago my daughter's favorite movie was Milo and Otis...heck the cats weren't even the same color but she still loved it.

"Yes, a Lab savvy breeder can tell the difference. Wasn't that hard really. "

Does 22 years in Labs qualify someone to be a savvy Lab breeder? I would have seen the difference more then 20 years ago, it wasn't hard at all. You're right Poster.

My opinion, the movie was okay. I don't want to discuss scenes to ruin it for others that haven't viewed it yet. It's only on day 2 of it's season.

Is it OK for a 7 year old to see? Been around dogs his whole life.

Re: Re: Re: I saw Marley Last night!!

Marley not being 1 dog? Lassie was MALE.

We went to see the movie and liked it for what it was. Just entertaining. I hope that people will decide that a Lab is just to much work, and we don't end up like the Dalmations after the Disney movie 101 Dalmations.

When we got home we found a big Christmas ornament broken on the floor - very little of it actually - so one (or more) of the dogs ate the rest. Then the sheet we keep on the couch was out in the back yard where they played tug of war with it. The youngsters were crated so it was the older, trusted dogs.

Back to obedience class for all of them.

You allow your dogs unsupervised access to your Christmas tree, ornaments, etc? No matter the breed... that is inviting trouble! There is a problem with the people involved here, not the dogs.

"We went to see the movie and liked it for what it was. Just entertaining. I hope that people will decide that a Lab is just to much work, and we don't end up like the Dalmations after the Disney movie 101 Dalmations.

When we got home we found a big Christmas ornament broken on the floor - very little of it actually - so one (or more) of the dogs ate the rest. Then the sheet we keep on the couch was out in the back yard where they played tug of war with it. The youngsters were crated so it was the older, trusted dogs."

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

We went to see the movie and liked it for what it was. Just entertaining. I hope that people will decide that a Lab is just to much work, and we don't end up like the Dalmations after the Disney movie 101 Dalmations.

When we got home we found a big Christmas ornament broken on the floor - very little of it actually - so one (or more) of the dogs ate the rest. Then the sheet we keep on the couch was out in the back yard where they played tug of war with it. The youngsters were crated so it was the older, trusted dogs.

Back to obedience class for all of them.