Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Newbie Pet owner in the paper

I am looking for a pup and was directed here.
I called a kennel in San Diego today from the paper and they want 1600 for their pups.
Then I talked to a breeder who said it's not ethical to advertise in the paper.
Just wonder if this is true because the lady seemed nice and has a web page and does the vet stuff with the hips, eyes etc.

Help?

Re: Newbie Pet owner in the paper

I don't see anything wrong with anyone advertising in the newspaper. Buyer beware though, make sure they have hip/elbow OFA clearances on the parents, CERF clearance for the eyes and you want to see proof, don't take thier word for it. Also when you go to see the pups make sure they are kept in a clean enviorment and that it doesn't look like a puppy mill place.
Aloha,
jackie

Hi Lisa,

Some breeders will tell you that only backyard breeders have to advertise in the papers. $1600 for a pet puppy sounds steep to me, but I don't know the area. Jill has some breeders in CA and you can start from this link.

http://wiscoy.com/search_results.php

You're right in making sure that whoever you get your pup from has all clearances on the parents (Hips, elbows, eyes & heart). Most breeders will be happy to have you come by and see the houses and meet their dogs. Good Luck

Re: Re: Newbie Pet owner in the paper

I used to live in Orange County about 2 years ago, and still have some names of people you could call and check in with if you are looking for reputable breeders. From my experience, $1600 seems a bit high for a puppy in that area unless you have hit upon the BEST pedigree out there. I have seen $1200 quoted for superb lines, but generally $800-900 seems to be the range for the very nice pups from breeders in that So Cal region.

Feel free to email me if you want so guidance...

Puppy calls have been lean during these economic hard times. She may have just put an ad in the paper to help sell. Most do not sell through the paper but many breeders are not able to sell puppies right now.
I wouldn't think anything of it. Go out and look for yourself.

You might want to check with one of the two local clubs: SDLRC (www.sdlrc.com) and LRCSC (www.lrcsocal.org) and ask about people with puppies. Or better yet, if you can wait, the San Diego specialty show is coming up in about 6 weeks (Valentines Day weekend) and is at the Del Mar Horsepark and it's a great way to meet breeders and see dogs. OR even better because it's soon, if you're not too far from Palm Springs, there is a show this coming weekend out there that is always well attended. Information is at www.onofrio.com.

Also, I don't know many selling pups for $900 these days. Most that I know are $1200-$1600 for a well-bred pup with titled parents and clearances. I agree with the poster who said to go visit for yourself. You'll know when you arrive if it's the right fit for you and your family, based on the way the dogs are cared for and the way the house/kennel is set up. Shop wisely-- this purchase will be with you for the next 12-15 years!!!

Good luck!

Re: Re: Newbie Pet owner in the paper

Bradshaw actually handles all the CA shows. Onofrio does not.

I have mixed emotions about advertising in the newspaper. It has been considered taboo for years if you are a reputable/responsible breeder. And yes, it does open you up to many who are just price shopping. (And after Marley & Me, I am waiting for the phrase "clearance puppy" to come up.)

On the positive side, placing an ad in the newspaper gives us, as reputable/responsible breeders, a greater opportunity to educate buyers. And, as another person said, these tougher economic times may makde a newspaper ad necessary since it reaches a larger audience.

My point is to not judge a person just because a newspaper ad was placed by them. There are many different reasons for doing so and not all are negative. What if everyone of us placed an ad to help educate the public - to let them know the difference between a $300 pup and an $800 pup? I realize not every buyer is willing to be educate and will only look at the price BUT we, as breeders, would be doing what we need to do as breeders - educate the public.