Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy worming schedule?

Just wondering what schedule most use for worming puppies?

We have 3 1/2 week old puppies with loose stools, with some foam & mucus. Just had their first kibble meal (stools were loose before this) Stools were fine - almost too hard before. Tried Goats milk yogurt last night, but it didn't seem to help.

Re: Puppy worming schedule?

We worm at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks with Nemex. If we had the poop problem you have, we would be adding Tylan to their food.

We worm at 5-6 weeks old with fenbendazole. Too much food may cause loose stool.They have delicate digestive systems. make sure its mush. Not sure about foamy, never had that.

Re: Re: Puppy worming schedule?

If you just tried yogurt last night, it might not be enough time to show the improvement, but yes, I too would worm them. Not every litter has the exact same needs. Good luck.

I have used the same regimen for many years and it seems to work for me. I worm with fenbendazole (Panacur, SafeGuard) for 3 days in a row. I do this at 3 weeks, 4 weeks and 5 weeks. Most wormers only catch certain stages of different parasites. If you worm 2 or more weeks apart, some worms can "slip" through the worming process. This protocol was recommended by K-State many years ago and I have had excellent results with it.

I wean mine onto mushed ground puppy food with plain yogurt added. They seem to like it (they are Labs, afterall) and the yogurt helps them digest the new food source. Mine usually stay on the added yogurt until about 3 months. I'm sure many of the new owners stop messing with it after a short time, but I keep mine on it until we are through the first 3 rounds of shots.

I worm at 3,4,6 and 8 weeks, just before puppies go home with Pyrantel.

My most recent litter I wormed just 3 and 4 weeks. No worms on fecal at 8 weeks...so I may cut out the excess wormings in the future.

I do 3, 5, and 7 weeks with Pyrantel.

I do 3, 5 and 7 weeks with panacur for three days.
I also treat with ponazuril at 7 weeks as a preventive against coccidia.

I wormed my litter at 2, 4, 6, and 8 weeks with Nemex. Between 2 and 3 weeks I started to see that mucus in the stool and I immediately started dosing them with Nature's Farmacy Immunoguard and did so every 2 days for about 10 days. It cleared up straight away. Then I used it about once a week until they went home.
You can buy it in a paste but I just made my own paste out of the powder and gave it with a syringe.