Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Introduction

I have had a little look at this forum after speaking with Maureen Gamble (Hi Maureen) and think it is time I said hello. Some will already know me from the Yahoo lists.

I live in Western Australia and have had Labs since 1975. I have had Maltese since 1977. My love of both these breeds prompted me to not only show & breed, but also to judge.

I have been actively involved in club committee work over a long period of time and was part of the sub committee of the LRC of Western Australia which ran a very successful National in this state in July this year.

I strikes me a little bit odd that so many of you choose to use a pen name when discussing controversial subjects. I would have thought people would have more guts and faith in their input than to hide behind a pseudonym. Still that's only my opinion and I'm sure I will quickly be informed as to why people choose to hide in this way.

Just my humble opinion

Regards

Olivia Nankivell
Milaje Labradors & Maltese
Western Australia

Re: Introduction

Hi, Olivia!
Glad you are here!

hi olivia

glad you stopped by.
adam

Welcome...I have 5 Labs and a token Maltese. He is 10 years old and rules the roost

Hi Olivia,

There are many good reasons to post anonymously besides the negative reasons you posted. Beyond that, many of us believe that posts should be positive, regardless whether a poster uses their name or not. I think the main thing is to judge people by what they write, not by what their name is or isn't.

Happy New Year to all!

Re: Re: Introduction

Nice to see you, Olivia. I just have one comment about the prior post: I try not to judge people by what they write - I try not to be judgemental at all, though most of the time we humans tend to do that. I try very hard to evaluate only the ACCURACY and the USEFULNESS of what others write regardless of the name or pseudonym attached. There are so many issues in life and in dogs that I may be entirely at odds with one statement or opinion and absolutely in agreement with another from the SAME person. If we try not to judge people overall from what they may post on a particular topic, we leave ourselves open to form alliances on other topics. Politics and dogs make for strange bedfellows

Sorry 'welcome', I see no good reason to hide behind anonimity. It's rather like saying one thing to a person face to face and something completely different behind their back.

Olivia

Stick around and you will figure it out. I, for one, try not to volunteer to be whacked on the head with a frying pan.

Hi Olivia, I also prefer face to face human interaction. It is so much easier to communicate because you can read body language and look into someone's eyes. The internet is so much different. But for me, even though both types of interactions are very different, I try to keep my comments positive in either situation. Even critical analysis and debate can be done with respect and courtesy. Disagreements can still be positive.

back to introduction

Thank you for posting Olivia!

I would love to meet who is posting on this site too! I have gathered much needed information.

I live in beautiful, Northern Michigan. Like many others on here, I enjoy breeding, showing, and hunting with our Labradors.

Welcome Olivia.

Labrador wags to you Olivia, welcome.

Linda

Re: Re: Re: Introduction

Thanks for the welcome folks. I will no doubt meet some of you at the Potomac in April. I am making the great treck for my first visit to USA. Needless to say I am so excited I could just burst.