Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

WHAT A LIFE !

MY FRIEND GERLINDE WAS BORN IN GERMANY AND SURVIVED THE WAR LIVING ON HER GRANDMOTHER'S FARM. MANY TIMES THEY LIVED IN THE BASEMENT OF THE HOUSE TO PROTECT THEM FROM THE BOMBINGS.SHE TOLD ME STORIES OF FEEDING SOLDIERS,GERMANS,AND THEN AMERICANS AS THEY MOVED THROUGH THE AREA.

AFTER THE WAR SHE WAS SWEPT OFF HER FEET BY A YOUNG AMERICAN G.I.(I HAVE THE PICTURE ) BILL HOCKLA. THEY FELL IN LOVE AND SOON MOVED BACK TO BILL'S HOMETOWN,ASHFORD,CT. THERE GERLINDE WORKED TO ADAPT TO THE AMERICAN LIFE. AS SHE TOLD ME IT WAS NOT EASY AT FIRST,BUT SHE AND BILL RAISED SOME COWS AND HAD A SMALL FARM.

GERLINDE'S FATHER HAD RAISED GERMAN SHEPPARD'S BEFORE THE WAR. ONCE GERLINDE AND BILL GOT ESTABLISHED IN THEIR HOME HE SENT SOME OF HIS DOGS TO GERLINDE AND HER SISTER EDELTRAUD. THEY BOTH TRAVELED TO A DOG SHOW OUT OF CURIOSITY AND THOUGHT HOW EASY IT WOULD BE TO FINISH ONE OF THEIR DOGS.........(HE NEVER DID ) BUT THEY WERE HOOKED. GERLINDE WENT ON TO SHOW MANY DIFFERENT BREEDS . AS GRUFF AS SEEM TO BE SHE HAD A GIFT,A CONNECTION,WITH DOGS. IT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND UNTIL YOU WATCHED HER WORK WITH A DOG;PARTICULARLY A YOUNG DOG.

NO MATTER HOW LONG IT HAD BEEN MY DOGS WOULD CARRY ON SO WHEN SHE CAME TO VISIT. SHE WOULD SPEAK KINDLY TO THEM SAYING NOT TODAY BUT THEY WOULD CLAMOR TO GET INTO HER VAN.

GERLINDE WAS ONCE KNOWN AS THE HANDLER TO BEAT. IN FACT,THE COMMENTATOR AT THE WESTMINSTER COMMENTED ON HER AS SHE WAS SHOWING THAT SHE WAS CONSIDERED THE TOP HANDLER ON THE EAST COAST.

OF HER MANY WINS AND CHAMPIONS SHE FINISHED HER CROWNING GLORY WAS WINNING THE WESTMINSTER IN 1984 WITH HER NEWFOUNDLAND "ADAM". DURING THE SAME SHOW SHE WON THE LABRADOR BREED !! BEFORE SHE EVEN ARRIVED HOME FROM THE SHOW HER HOUSE WAS FULL OF CONGRATULATORY ROSES FROM PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD.

GERLINDE TRAVELLED WORLDWIDE SHOWING DOGS BEFORE TAKING A STEP BACK IN THE EARLY 90'S. IT WAS PROVIDENCE THAT BROUGHT ME TO LIVE SO CLOSE TO HER.IT TOOK A WHILE BUT SHE AGREED TO TAKE MY GIRL ,BABS, FOR HER FIRST SHOW TO BOSTON. BABS TOOK BREED THAT DAY !!

I LEARNED SO MUCH FROM THIS WOMAN WHO ALWAYS,AND I MEAN ALWAYS,PUT THE DOGS FIRST. I'LL NEED THAT GPS NOW GERLINDE CAUSE MY CO-PILOT IS GONE..................

Re: on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

Tony, I am so sorry to hear of Gerlinde's passing. My condolences to her family and friends. She was a very nice person.

(((HUGS)))
I am so sorry for your loss Tony. Gerlinda was a wonderful woman. I will miss seeing her welcoming smile. What a wonderful tribute. My deepest sympathies to everyone who loved her. She was a truly special woman.

Tony, I know how close the friendship was betweeen Gerlinda and you. She was such a brave woman having had to go through the pain and suffering she did. She and I sat next to each other and talked at the Pawcatuck specialty but never thought it would be the last time she and I would laugh and talk over life and dog things. I always loved to sit and talk with her. She was truly a wonderful person and had a magic with dogs that is not often seen. They seemed to understand her every word. We will see you, Tony, with your wonderful dogs following her teachings. Such a sad day. Ellie and Traci

Thank you for telling Gerlinda's story. She will be missed by all who knew her. She always had such a kind word for me, and she loved my Franky. She had asked for a pup from her litter, and when I called to tell her of the birth, she told me of her diagnosis, and that she would have to pass on this pup, but hopefully get one in the future. We both hoped that day would come. She had a great talent, and more than once was able to make me laugh. I'll miss her. Godspeed, Gerlinda.

I will miss seeing Gerlinde at shows, she was always so kind to people, her fellow exhibitors,and the dogs. And she sure knew how to show a Lab! I am so sorry Tony, my condolences to you and to her family.

What a wonderful tribute to your friend.
Sounds like she was an amazing person.
Godspeed Gerlinde.

Re: Re: on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

Many of you know that Gerlinde and I were very good friends and her passing will leave quite a hole in my heart for some time to come.She was as honest as the day is long and was not one to mince words in expressing her opinions. She had an uncanny ability to connect with all of the dogs she knew with very few words. They would gravitate to her like no one else and sit at her feet staring adoringly at her waiting for her to talk to them telling them how special they were with her voice so sweet and soft. They even seemed to understand the german words she would use to praise them. She had some wonderful stories from her years of showing dogs all over the world. I learned so much about dogs and life from those stories.I will miss not sitting next to her at the dog shows and our weekly chats on the phone. I will miss her and think of her often.

Re: Re: Re: on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

Tony, my condolences to you on the loss of your dear friend, Gerlinde. She was an amazing woman who touched so many lives in so many different ways. What a lovely tribute to her! We each of us who crossed Gerlinde's path are the better and wiser for having known her.
Pauline

Tony, I appreciate you sharing Gerlinda's life-story. Although I knew her a long time, I never heard some of the things I now know, thanks to you.

And, "Thanks", Gerlinda "for all the encouragement you gave to me all of the time.

My fondest memory was drinking "refreshments" with you, Gerlinda & Co. at one of those Boston Lab Club
Specialties when it was at the Lord Cromwell Hotel.
After judging we shared a lot of good info and a lot of laughs, too. Yes, Gerlinda was a little "gruff"; but, when she spoke to you, it meant something. She was and always will be truely a wonderful lady I shall never forget.

Tony:
I had no idea. My condolences to all who loved and knew her... I saw her many times at the shows and she always did a great job. Godspeed Gerlinde.

Tony and Sally,

I know how much Gerlinde was a part of your lives. I am sending my deepest sympathies to you and to her family.

She was so much fun at dog shows and boy, did she know a dog. I learned a lot at her knee. I will miss her so much.

I seen Gerlinda at many of the big shows but never really knew her, I always knew and heard of her success as a handler. It's always tough to have a friend or a long time dog breeder friend that I know pass away. I guess because I share a common bond and life style in dogs. Tony it is clear she made her mark and will live on through her family and friends that she touched in her life. I'm sure Gerlinda would appreciate you sharing her story and kind words. we all should be so Blessed.

God rest her soul

Jerry

Please give our sympathy to her family,My mother and Gerlinde showed dogs together (Marianne Cook) She has many stories about her and they were always funny and good times. She will be missed.

Re: Re: on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

I remember showing Casey as a puppy at the Boston specialty. I was never comfortable free stacking a Lab.
I was use to hand stacking Irish Setter's. When I came out of the ring, Gerlinde came over to me & said "You have a very nice puppy, but you are over handling him".Gerlinde always had a Big Hello when we met at the shows. She will be missed.

Jack

Re: Re: Re: on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

Tony

I am so sorry to hear of Gerlinde's passing. She was a truly wonderful handler and she really had a way with dogs, no matter if she was showing them or not , they just seemed to be naturally drawn to her. She and I shared quite a few interesting stories of Germany where my father is from and how differently dogs are raised there. She was fun to travel with and I will miss her.I didn't think that the last time I saw her at the shows in Springfield before Thanksgiving would be the last time I saw her.

My deepest condolences to her husband.
Rest in peace Gerlinde!

Re: Re: Re: Re: on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

The dog world has lost a great friend. I first knew Gerlinda when she showed my Caruso... I never worried about his care when he was with her. She introduced me to the Newfoundland breed and found me one of my favorite dogs....a Newfoundland named "Shaboom". I 'm very lucky to have had Gerlinda touch my life. She was a very caring person.
We'll miss you Gerlinda....

I remember Gerlinda winning Westminster with the Newfoundland. I got my first Lab in '85, so when I saw her in the ring years later with Labradors, I felt I was with royalty! She was a lovely woman and always pleasant to me.
Please accept my condolences and pass them along to her family as well.
Sarita

Gerlinde would have been pleased to read the nice things and memories you have all posted. Thank you.

For those able to attend funeral arrangements have been made for Gerlinde.There will be a wake Thursday evening from 6-8PM at the Potter Funeral home in Willimantic-see -http://potterfuneralhome.com. The funeral will be held on Friday Jan. 2,10AM at Saint Philip-Apostle Church,Rt.44 in Ashford.

So sorry to hear of her passing, especially at this time of year.

She was a wonderful lady, and always their to offer help. Gerlinde had a great eye for dogs, as well as the judges, she will be sadly missed.

Linda

Re: Re: Re: Re: on the passing of Gerlinde Hockla 12/29/08

Tony, my condolences on the loss of your friend. Gerlinde was a lady who loved dogs and always had a smile or encouraging word for a newbie.

I will remember her fondly.

God speed, Gerlinde.

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

My first dog (not just my first lab or my first show dog... but my *first* dog) came from Gerlinde in 1992. A friend who bred Newfs sent me to her when I decided on a labrador. I was in college, had never had a dog and lived in an apartment- but Gerlinde had faith in our mutual friend's recommendation and in me and I had my first dog. He was out of her bitch Ch. Seward's Two If By Sea and (no bias ) he was the best dog in the world. Due to an ongoing health issue he sadly died at 4 1/2 years- but in that short time he got me hooked on dog shows, competition obedience (we earned a CD) and lead me to my career path in Veterinary medicine. The next year Gerlinde made arrangements for me to take the pick male from a friend's litter and that brought me my second great dog and current veteran and Ch, Tate.
I consider myself extrodinarily lucky and will always remember Gerlinde for that start and for those 2 fabulous dogs that she brought into my life. I learned a lot from her over the years- she was always happy to talk about dogs- of past and current and was never short on an opinion. It won't be the same without her.
Wendy