Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
poop eater

A friend just got a older girl, very nice girl.
She has started to eat some poop in the yard.(dog poop)Do you supose she is lacking something in her diet. I've had horses lick the dirt to get some mineral they were missing, but I haven't had a poop eater. So what can you guys tell me. Wormed yes--eating food well yes--adjusted well yes-- exercise yes.
So what direction should she look in.
Thanks

Re: poop eater

This subject has been beaten to death.....literally!!
Either pick it up as soon as it lands or don't look!
This girl did she come from a multiple dog home? When dogs are in a pack situation, they tend to follow the elders in the pack. She was probably at the bottom of the pecking order. Wolves and coyotes behave in a similar way. They too eat the "Leaders" droppings. It has nothing to do with nutrition. Others swear by prunes, tomatoe sauce, figs etc. Ihave tried everything and nothing works. Tell your friend this is normal. If she scolds her it might work if she is the only dog in her new household.

Sometimes it may be a digestion issue. Has to do with the pancreas. Specially in an older dog. There are supplements available.

"...When dogs are in a pack situation, they tend to follow the elders in the pack. She was probably at the bottom of the pecking order. Wolves and coyotes behave in a similar way. They too eat the "Leaders" droppings. It has nothing to do with nutrition...."

I disagree. It can be as simple as monkey see, monkey do and nothing to do with pack behavior. Dogs are not wolves or coyotes. In a true pack situation the dominate wolf may eat first and get the most nutritious contents. Nutrition *can* be a reason.

If this dog wasn't eating poop before you got her, what has changed? Have you changed her diet, if so go back to what she was eating and see if that helps. A diet change can cause this if this wasn't her behavior before. If the dog is not assimilating the nutrients efficiently it can pass usable nutrients that are appetizing to the dog. Some additives for prevention are enzymes which help achieve a more complete digestion. Some people have had success with a higher quality or more digestible protein and a lower percentage of carbs. Some dogs will do it no matter what, labs love to eat.

I had a poop eater in the past. I will not allow my puppies to see me clean up the yard. They are good imitators and if they see you collecting or gathering something they may think it's something worthwhile.

I disagree...for me it was boredom with my male..and he was eating something different than my oldest dog...who were on EVO. Now that all of the dogs are eating the same thing, my poop eater isn't eating poop this winter and he's been more exercised too.

Re: Re: poop eater

So???? She's a bitch and a Lab. Live with it. Some dogs do it, some don't and none do it all the time. Less for you to pick up!!!!!!!!

I have a couple poop eaters too, and boy does it drive me crazy!

However, I believe there can be a number of reasons for this behavior... anything from lacking nutrients, bad habits from watching other dogs, it tasts good to them, their hungry, or even because it's an instinct for "mommy" dogs who eat the poo of their pups to keep them clean. (I have found that only my females eat poo. I have never seen a male do this yet, but that's just me and my experience. The first time one of my dogs ate poo, it was just after her first litter, and then it just became a habit which others picked up on.)

If you're dog is being fed a quality dog food and has a healthy appetite and is at a healthy weight, I would not worry about it being nutritional and just try to find a way to stop it.

To stop poo eating you can try a number of different things from scolding, to picking it up asap, to feeding supplements that deter poo eating, or even sprinkling fresh piles with red pepper or spaying them with bitter apple, etc. Take your pick or try them all.

:)

Well thank you all for your insight. She was one of two and she is 5 years young and yes a lab.
I was just checking on any new ideas out there. She is now the only dog in the house and it seems that she has stopped eating the poo if she is watched, which is great.
Thanks again

Re: Re: poop eater

Feed twice a day and sprinkle meat tenderizer on everyone's food. You have to keep it up. If you stop they will go right back to it. The best preventative is to follow them around and pick up after!

Buy some plain yougurt and give her 1 cup every day or make the yougurt in your house and give it to her.
I do not know why this has worked for me and several persons to whom I have recomended this.

Happy New Year

Alfredo Vallejo
Alvalley

How do I feed geese meat tenderizer, figs, etc. before we go out to the ponds?