Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dual Sired Litters

Any body have actually had a litter that was a dual sired litter? Seems that all I have heard of ended up being sired by just one dog.....Bitches last litter just looking to see if it actually worth trying.
Thanks Bridget

Re: Dual Sired Litters

I have, and I know others that have. You will end up with either 100% from one of the dogs or 90% at least. Definitely was worth doing it in my case. Pups did turn out to be 100% from one dog. Very pleased with the results. Good Luck

I'm curious too - like you, I've only heard of litters that turn out to be only from one sire. I'd love to hear if anyone has had success.

I did it once.
4 live pups & 2 dead.
3 were from the 1st sire,
1 from 2nd sire.
The other 2 were DOA so I don't know who sired those.

I used the 2nd sire later, just as a backup, so it did get me at least one more puppy but it was pretty costly with the $200 penalty for 2nd litter registration plus 5 DNA costs for the 4 pups and the dam. The sires were already done.

I did one a few years ago. I believe we had 7 pups altogether. Just one was from the first breeding (first sire), and the other 6 were from the second breeding (second sire).

Re: Re: Dual Sired Litters

How hard was it to read the DNA report of the pups to see whose sire they had, or did AKC do that? Also, at what age can you swab the puppies and how hard was it to do that? How long after nursing should you wait?

Interesting topic.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I did it once.
4 live pups & 2 dead.
3 were from the 1st sire,
1 from 2nd sire.
The other 2 were DOA so I don't know who sired those.

I used the 2nd sire later, just as a backup, so it did get me at least one more puppy but it was pretty costly with the $200 penalty for 2nd litter registration plus 5 DNA costs for the 4 pups and the dam. The sires were already done.

Very easy to read the DNA yourself.
The problem was it took very long to get the DNA results back. I was able to sell the pups by giving info on both sires to each puppy buyer with a contract promising the AKC papers later.

Pups have to be Permanently ID'd before you take the DNA samples so that held up taking the samples and getting the ball rolling.

I have done this once and would do it again. I had a yellow bitch and used a yellow dog and a dominate black dog. Litter of 7 was 5 yellow and 2 black. AKC required DNA even though Y to Y = Y and BB to Y = B(y). Expensive - but worth it.

Re: Re: Dual Sired Litters

I'm assuming that there were A-I's from each dog, would your percentages be better if you used the same kits and then mixed the collections and did one insemination, just curious.

Linda

Interesting thought Linda, I wonder if you can you do that

I was wondering about mixing the 2 collections, also. I had a bitch miss the last time I bred her - no reason, really, except maybe some stress with an alpha bitch.

I am trying to change everything about the breeding and even though we have a great record (overall) with chilled - I thought I might mix a chilled with a fresh to assure the pregnancy. ?

Putting your 2 collections together is not a great idea. Swimmers "fight" with each other and each collection will have a different force. I used each individually however did them at the same time. Example, if I had a total of 6 cc each dog, I cut it in 1/2 using 3cc each dog at the same time, doing an AI with one, and AI with the 2nd immediately after. Also, you can't just pour chilled into fresh because the shock of the temperature would kill the fresh.

How do you handle stud fees for the litter?

I guess the stud dog owners would have to wait until the puppies were tested to determine what is owed.

It's hard enough to find one good dog for a bitch let alone two. Is there anyone who has been happy with both sire's puppies?

yes, very! One of the sires I had used previously on the same bitch, single sired litter. Then I did the multiple sired litter with that same stud dog and another. I now have pups by both dogs and both produced lovely pups with this girl.

Stud fee would have to be worked out with whomever is providing the stud service for you.