Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
grass all gone

Question: A small fenced area for the pups has been destroyed by older dogs. it's just loam left and a few pieces of grass.I need an idea of what to put in there in place of grass right now. Most of all paddocks were turf believe it or not and they for the most part are fine.
Other than reseeding in the spring I'm lost as to what to use. I do use this paddock and really can't afford the down time with growing new grass or laying sod again in this area. Maybe I'm answering my own question, I don't want any stone and mulch they will eat.Anything else?

Re: grass all gone

We use shavings, which work great, except they will blow away in high winds.

Re: Re: grass all gone

My main airing pen is limestone rock. The only place I have grass is the 1-acre pasture they run in. I could not keep grass in my highest traffic areas.

MK

Re: Re: Re: grass all gone

Love the pea gravel we got this Fall for the high traffic area.

Re: Re: Re: Re: grass all gone

We use River sand. Its not like beach sand.Has small gravel in it. But it will also be like a sand blaster with High winds.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: grass all gone

SNOW!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: grass all gone

We have a puppy run with sand stone, it packs down hard very quickly and it's easy to clean up!

What would you put down in an area that has dirt and trees and now 7 Labs running around in the area?
Did have grass but that bit the dust a month after we arrived with my crew.
It is frozen now but I fear what will happen with the spring thaw.
Gravel? Sand? Mulch(kind?)?
Help Please!!!!!!!

I have the same question as the last poster.
Any suggestions out there?

I have at least 12 dump truck loads of oak and pine mulch in my dog yard and it works really well. You just have to put a deep layer down,mine is about six inches. There is no urine smell and if I move the next people will not have to deal with tons of rock etc, they can just plant over it.