Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For the Innova feeders out there, question..............

I was recently told by someone (not a Lab person) that Innova will turn black dogs red in the summer. Has anyone experienced this? They used to say that about Eukanuba too, but I used to use Eukanuba a while back and never had that happen to the blacks. Personally I don't see how food could turn a dog colors, but was curious to see if there was any truth to this since I recently switched to Innova and have not used it through a summer yet.

Re: For the Innova feeders out there, question..............

I switched to Innova from Wellness about a year ago, because Wellness changed their formula for the variety of food I used from them and I did not like the new formulation.

Now my Lab is a red to begin with, not a black. I noticed no change in his coat color, to either a lighter shade or darker shade over the Summer months and he is outside a lot. I did note that his undercoat is much denser this Winter than it has been in prior Winters, but that has not affected his overall color (at least in his case). This has occurred during the time I switched to Innova. This is the only change I have noted since switching the brand in foods.

Whether the change in undercoat density is related to the switch to Innova food, and whether a change in the undercoat of certain blacks would change their overall hue in the Summer to appear "redish", maybe someone else can add their experiences to this thread.

I have been feeding Innova for over and year--never have seen the dogs turn red. Now they will turn reddish when they get ready to shed--but that is it.

A friend who has springers (black and white) has fed it for over 10 years and they don't have coats that turn red and neither does the white.

I know a Pomeranian breeder who swears that the tomato in the Innova recipe causes her black poms to go red. I have plenty of black labs on Innova and have NO red and tons of beautiful coat! More coat than any other food gave the same dogs. I love the food!!!!

Great, thanks for the replies! Tomatoes turning dogs red? ......msg

I wish the tomatoes I eat would do that, I would not have to color my hair lol!

My guys eat more poop on Innova. I don't like it but might be able to tolerate the poop eating but when 3 of them spent days throwing it up I switched the poop eaters back to Proplan. Still eating it if they beat me to it but not throwing it up all over the house.

Re: Re: For the Innova feeders out there, question..............

not!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My guys eat more poop on Innova. I don't like it but might be able to tolerate the poop eating but when 3 of them spent days throwing it up I switched the poop eaters back to Proplan. Still eating it if they beat me to it but not throwing it up all over the house.

I've tried Innova twice with puppies and ended up with poop eaters both times!! I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to. It's a good food but I won't use it again.

Re: Re: Re: For the Innova feeders out there, question..............

I have used Innova over a year and have had no problem with poop eating. I know Innova produces several lines of their food. To those breeders who responded that they experienced poop eating, did you use a variety other than the regular (large bite)?

I've been feeding Innova for over 10 years... although for the past 3 or so my guys have been on the EVO (except for puppies and any bitch I'm getting ready to breed). I've not had any problems with coat color and I have all black dogs, also no problem with copraphagy except one bitch who I took in as an adult and already did it before I got her.
Everyone has to find what works for them.

Wendy, which formula do you feed your puppies and pregnant bitches?

I have fed Innova Evo for two years and my black Lab. did never had a 'red cast' to her coat at any time of the year.

It is known that cattle, both dairy and beef, will develop a 'red cast' to a black coat when they have a copper deficiency.

<>

Most recently I switched my bitch I was planning on breeding from the EVO to Innova adult. As she reaches her due date I may or may not add in or switch her to the puppy formula. I have been weaning my puppies onto Innova large breed puppy and actually I keep the puppies on it for at least the first year (I won't put a growing puppy on the EVO).

Lots of different ways to do things- especially when it comes to food, this works for me.

Would you put the pregnant bitch on the large breed puppy or the regular? Are you concerned about the flaxseed?

no issues with coat casting red, but a major problem with poop eating. Switched and it stopped.

1) I guess I am inclined to keep my bitch on the Innova adult as it has more calories per cup than either of the puppy formulas.

2) I am not concerned about the Flaxseed, although I'm not sure which specific concern you are referring to. In the large breed puppy formula the flaxseed is the 12th listed ingredient. Flaxseed adds soluble and insolube fiber and is a source of both Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

No poop eating on Innova here.

I'm disappointed that Innova added Flaxseed to it's regular adult, my dogs can't tolerate flaxseed but I thought it was great food, no problems with poop eating or coat.

This is an old post but I thought I remembered folks saying their dogs ate poop on Innova. I just switched my girl to Innova and she has begun eating poop! She also has 6 week old pups, so I'm willing to wait until weaning is complete and she no longer is cleaning up (she always cleans up until they go home, I try to stop her but can't always get to the puppy poop before her). If she is still eating her poop I will switch back or find another formula. I used Pro Plan but my girl goes after her ears regularly so I thought I would change. Now I'm wondering.