Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sam's discontinuing Exceed Chicken & Rice

My Sam's Club--and supposedly yours, too--has discontinued the Exceed Chicken and Rice dog food. It still carries the Lamb and Rice, which I have at least temporarily switched to although the fat and protein content is lower than in the C&R.

I'm wondering what food other Exceed C&R users will use once the last bags are gone from the shelves. My dogs have done well on Exceed and the price is right. They may do just as well on the Lamb formula in spite of the lower fat/protein. Costco is an additional hour's drive, but I may make the drive (and buy the membership) to get their chicken formula Kirklands. Or is Diamond Performance just as good? Any thoughts?

Re: Sam's discontinuing Exceed Chicken & Rice

You might try Diamond Natural Chicken and Rice - same ingredients as the Kirkland food - no corn/wheat/soy. It can be found at many feed stores and is about $25 for a 40-lb. bag. I believe the Diamond Performance has corn in it and more by-products, though it looks to be a decent food, similar in quality to the ProPlan/Exceed formula.

Re: Re: Sam's discontinuing Exceed Chicken & Rice

OH great, I've fed this food for 10 years. Why ?

No wonder the shelves were almost empty with the Sam's Club, chicken and rice, well have tried the Diamond Performance, get the 50lb bag at Farm and Fleet for about $23.00, the dogs did good on it, no problem, stools fine. The fat content is high, not the protein, but the fat is what you need in the winter time, so it worked well. I guess I'll just switch over to that now

Diamond Performance does have corn, but Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete does not.

We have been happy with the Kirkland food, though for some of my dogs I would like higher protein/fat, so I have been considering Extreme Athlete. Anyone have experience with that one?

Re: Re: Re: Sam's discontinuing Exceed Chicken & Rice

Not sure where everyone lives.But our farmers co-op
Sells Exceed they continue to sell all the exceed foods. If you live near any Farmland or Grainland Or Farmers Co-op you might check with them.....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sam's discontinuing Exceed Chicken & Rice

Were you actually told by an employee that the food was going to be discontinued ?

No one but Sam's sells Exceed as it's their brand (made by Purina). Excel is a brand that is frequently available at feed stores, though. Totally different company.

There is an EXCLUSIVE brand that is made by a former Purina employee...maybe that is what people are confusing with these other names? The ingredients are almost identical to ProPlan.

My field trainers switched to this after an extreme price hike on the brand they were feeding.

MK

"Been There", is that chicken and rice performance or do they offer a maintenance chicken and rice. I only ask because my Sam's Club only carries Lamb and Rice and Chicken and Rice Performance.

Might just be the area you live in, if sales aren't good at that store they might discontinue it. I talked to my friend today who pushed to get it into one of our stores here but they won't sell it at the other store and she is going to check on it after the new year as she can't get a hold of the mainland buyers because of the time difference as they are gone. She said they don't make any money at all on the members mark brands so if it's not selling well they discontinue it. She also said if sales are good at the sams you shop at unless Purina won't supply them anymore or they hiked the price too high then they should be continueing it. Will lyk all know what I find out.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Sam's discontinuing Exceed Chicken & Rice

I was told by a manager that it was being discontinued, and it is no longer on the shelves--just the Lamb. I've called the 2 other relatively close stores and they no longer carry it.

Yes, it is the Exceed Performance Chicken and Rice, 30% protein, 20% fat (I never noticed the word "Performance" before).

I may go to one of the newer Diamond formulas.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sam's discontinuing Exceed Chicken & Rice

where are you located????

We feed the Diamond Performance food which we starting feeding many years ago after the multiple times we were told Sam's was going to quit selling Exceed. It is a 30% fat and 20% protein food that is about $26 for 40# bag. We've been very happy with it, chicken is the first ingredient and found it similar to the Exceed... best part is the feed store delivers it for us!!

I found the shelf full. Did not ask any questions. Do wonder if it is more in one area. Hope they keep it. Have used it for years.

Our coop sells purina , Exceed....