Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel License

Have any of your breeders in Ohio had your kennel license held up because you now need a vendor license?
When I called about not getting my kennel license back, I was asked by the person answering the phone, do you show dogs and breed? I said, what does my hobby have to do with a kennel license? Breed, yes on occasion? She said that many people are buying land and they have 20 or more dogs on it and they only have to pay for a kennel license which is $25.00 and then they get 5 tags??? I wanted to say, Yea, that is the way the law is written. Well, it seems now, you need a vendors license, I have my attorney looking up the laws, as there is no definition for the sale of dogs and puppies. I had my CPA look it up and she couldn't find anything? When I asked them at the County Auditors office she just read me the definition of a kennel? There are two and everyone that I know says, that dogs come under, Animal husbandry, which is agriculture. I got the vendors license, we had one before, but they Ohio said we didn't need one again. So, just a note to the wise, they are trying to get more money from us
Anyone have any input to this????

Re: Kennel License

Bought mine for 09 couple weeks ago, still $50 , no word on anything else. I try to stay under the radar, and send it through the mail , and keep dogs under control at all times. Neighbors have no idea how many I keep here.

Re: Re: Kennel License

Well, it doesn't have to do with how many dogs you have or if they bark or what. It has to do with revenue for Ohio, but as of yet, we can't find anything that says, specific, sale of dogs and puppies.
It does say, dogs are considered property, under the law and they are under livestock, livestock sale is not taxable. I did ask the woman if she had gone thru the newspaper with all the ads for puppies for sale. She said, No, we don't have time for that?
I just feel it is easier for them to target kennels, rather then everyone. Heck, there are more backyard breeders producing tons of puppies a year, that don't claim anything.
I know this is a private thing, but just to let everyone know that they are more aware of us and seem to single us out, now. But, if I can't find a definition for dogs and puppies, then I'm wondering if it isn't just the interpretation of the law that they are using, rather then the law itself? that is why I have sent everything to my attorney. Just wondering if they are trying to play with the law to their advantage?

Re: Kennel License

Dear Breeder-Ohio,

I have posed this question/issue to John Yates/American Sporting Dog Alliance as far as needing a vendor's license....what county do you reside in?

Thanks.

PS - I will post my findings.