Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grain-free Foods?

Before this gets buried too far down, I thought I would bring it up again. Does anyone out there have information, or links to information, about grain-free diets?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I am doing some research on grain-free diets, but most of my search results end up being an advertisement for a particular brand of grain-free food.

I'm looking for pros and cons of grain-free diet with detailed explanations. Links to research data would be even better.

Additionally, I've heard discussions relative to protein levels and warnings that certain levels of protein are too high. What is "too high" and why is a high level of protein bad? What are the side effects (positive or negative) of too much protein in a diet?

I look forward to hearing your opinions and reasoning behind your thoughts.

Thank you.

Re: Grain-free Foods?

Check out The Whole Dog Journal. They do a whole write up early each year on pet foods. The 2008 issue had a whole section on grain free foods.

I'm interested in this topic too, Denise.

I haven't been able to find anything except what the companies producing the food are putting out there. I've even searched using the University of Michigan library database (which gives access to many scientific journals), in hopes of finding some actual, unbiased research, but haven't some up with anything yet.

Maybe there is something out there in the veterinary journals that some of the vets on the board would look at for us. If anyone comes up with something, feel free to email me too.

Also, keep in mind that grain free does not mean carbo free. Check each food for its carbo source. The one I use has potatoes, tomatoes, and peas. I know you didn't want antidotal evidence but I will say that my dogs are doing very well on a grain free food.

Re: Re: Grain-free Foods?

That's very true! I think the majority of them use either potato or sweet potato, while Nature's Variety uses tapioca. I believe it's necessary as a binder to make kibble. I know the question of what makes these carb sources superior to grain has come up in the past, but I don't think I've ever really heard a good answer.

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/puppy-protein/

Thank you Patty! I'll have a look.

Happy New Year!

Thanks Carolyn. I'll check it out.

Happy New Year!