Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
kinked tail - to keep or not?

My pick bitch puppy has a small kink at the very end of her tail. You can't see the kink, but due to the kink the twizzle at the end of her tail is open, which is not normal, and you can feel it when you run your hand down it. Is this a deal breaker? How much will she be penalized for this in the show ring? She's a very nice puppy otherwise.

Re: kinked tail - to keep or not?

If you would run her on if the tail was perfect, then you should keep her, as it is probably too soon to tell what maturity and coat will do to camouflage the imperfection. Good luck with her!!

I was reading through the archives. Someone posted about kinks showing up later. I noticed this one very early on...for what that's worth?? This was also a large litter, 11 pups.

Your problem in the ring is the knowledge base of the judge. There is a DQ for removal or altering of the last joint of the tail. Having watched many, many judges since this DQ was inserted into the standard, I would say that about 75% do not even FEEL the end of the tail - only the base. In other words, they do not check for the DQ at all.

That 25% that DO feel the whole tail might be your problem. I think most breeders would know a kink from a shortened tail - but judges that have come from primarily docked breeds (spaniels, pointers) might not. So... over all, I suspect that this might be a concern a very small percentage of the time, but some judge might actually DQ you from the ring. Since all of the tail is present, you could appeal this to AKC, but it is a hassle. Unless the kink really alters the overall balance of the tail, it will likely go unnoticed. Just be prepared and don't get angry if someone who isn't sure gives you the gate

I have a six year old who has a tiny (unnoticable) kink and she has had three litters. A puppy from each litter has had a kink as big if not bigger than hers. I decided not to keep the second pick from her last litter because she had a kink - but what a body! I think I could have showed her, but thinking about continuing with the problem was not what I wanted to do at this time. Depends on what you have to work with and how much you want to keep going with pedigree of this pup. I happen to have two bitches out of her first litter and one from her last.

I have a bitch that has a kink in her tail, at the end. She has been WB and BOB at an all breed show and placed at specialties. Like Maureen said, most judges don't feel down that far.

There are a lot worse structural issues you could have. If she comes from a long line of kinked tails, then I might consider going a different direction. In my bitches case, I don't know of another on in her line and it it does not bother me. I think it probably was something developmentally in the womb.

Mike

Re: Re: kinked tail - to keep or not?

There is one Champion out there that has a kink in the tail and continues to win in large all breed and also Specialty venues, under Labrador breeder judges. It is an otherwise a excellent representative of the breed. I would suggest giving your pup a chance. If everything else is good, the judges will still put it up based on overall merit.

Re: Re: Re: kinked tail - to keep or not?

Agreed... except for that one idiot that disqualifies it Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the whole tail is still there.

Is the tail an extension of the spine? Is anyone afraid of the genetics of this? Couldn't that kink end up higher in the next generation?

I have had about 4 puppies born with kinks - tiny and larger - some at the tip and one near the base. Before we sold the one with the kink near the base - we x-rayed to be sure that the spine and pelvis were okay. It can happen that it affects the lower back.

"It can happen that it affects the lower back."

I have been taught that this is a genetic condition. Also, that it can effect the back. Therefore, I would never breed a dog with a kink anywhere on its' tail, regardless how big or small.

I would defer to someone who has actually done (or been informed by)research on this. I am just going by what I have been "taught" (by 2 different people from two different breeds BTW).