Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canine Cipro

Can someone remind me what the canine equivalent of Cipro is called?

Re: Canine Cipro

You're probably think of Baytril. It's in the same 'family' of drugs but not the same drug.

Re: Re: Canine Cipro

No, not Baytril. I just can't remember what it is.

Are you thinking of Zeniquin?

Re: Re: Re: Canine Cipro

Baytril IS the animal version of Cipro (ciprofloxacin), which is a product of Bayer corporation. I don't know what product you are trying to remember, but these two names are the same drug marketed to either human or veterinary outlets.

Re: Are you thinking of Zeniquin?

Zeniquin is marbofloxacin - another of the fluorinated quinolones - and is made by Pfizer. Most of the fluorquinolones are pretty similar in action, BUT be sure to read ALL the warnings. This is a class of drug with some potentially serious side effects.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Canine Cipro

Baytril is enrofloxacin not ciprofloxacin. They are very similar but not the exact same drug.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Baytril IS the animal version of Cipro (ciprofloxacin), which is a product of Bayer corporation. I don't know what product you are trying to remember, but these two names are the same drug marketed to either human or veterinary outlets.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Canine Cipro

Oops... sorry. I was looking at another site that said Baytril was ciprofloxicin. I should have looked directly at the Bayer site since I know they are the MFG.

Re: Re: Are you thinking of Zeniquin?

I was told by the Vet that it was similar to Batril.
Just got some for a bad ear.

Re: Re: Re: Are you thinking of Zeniquin?

Yep, all the fluoroquinolones are similar in action. They are a good broad spectrum antibiotic - just heed the warning labels and know what side effects to watch for.

Canine Cipro

Ciprofloxicin is the closest we have to a human equivelent.
Enrofloxacin has toxic properties in humans. It is for veterinary use only.

Enrofloxacin should not be used in pregnant, or nursing pets or in immature dogs unless the severity of the infection warrants it.

SIDE EFFECTS

At approximately ten times the recommended dose vomiting and diarrhea may be seen with this medication. At normal doses, this should not be seen. Dogs with Pseudomonas ear infections require very high doses of enrofloxacin and nausea may indeed become a problem.

In immature dogs (less than 8 months of age) damage to joint cartilage can occur. This phenomenon is only seen in growing dogs and does not seem to be a problem in cats. It is preferable not to use this medication in puppies unless the severity of the infection present warrants it.

The use of enrofloxacin can produce crystals in urine. These crystals may show up on a laboratory test thus it is important to be aware of this side effect. Enrofloxacin crystals should not be confused with more clinically relevant struvite, oxalate, or urate crystals.