Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
newborn gasping for breath

HHas anyone had this problem before? I have a litter of 2, bred too late. First pup born at 6am, second at 6:40.
Both weigh 2.6 pounds, look great
2nd pup, though is laboring to breathe, gasp , then rest, gasp then rest. Wants to die, Mom takes care of other pup, leaves this one alone. I have in on a nice heating pad to keep warm and I am tube feeding. Wish I had a oxygen tent for it. Anybody got any experience with this. I will be so upsat if I lose this baby. Can I make a home made oxygen tent?? HELP appreciated!
Claudia Happy New Year to all.

Re: newborn gasping for breath

Oh Claudia! I had one gasping who inspired the juice from the sack on the way out. I had to finally let him go after trying to help him and keep him going for over an hour. I am sure you have swung him around like a carnival ride. I don't know what else to do other than the vet if that is availible. My prayers are with you and the little (big) one.

Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

Thanks, this latest update is, she is peeing well, I made a "oxygen tent" Have her temp good, but she is still gasping. Don't feel like she needs sub Q fluids, I have IV stuff here if I need to. Gave dopram, 1 drop under tongue. I would honestly take her to the emergency vet, but never have good luck there with newborns. They usually tell me I know more than them because they see so few. Don;t think they would know anymore tips than those of us that have pups. Any ideas are so welcome, thank you all.

I don't know if this will work but why not try "cupping" and "clapping" the chest to help her (him) express the fluid that might be in there? This is what they do for children with cystic fibrosis who can't clear their lungs to help them clear their lungs. Here is a quick link which explains how to do postural drainage:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/performing-postural-drainage-and-chest-percussion-for-cystic-fibrosis

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie, I will try anything. This is a breeding me and Vicki did, and I really want this baby to make it!

Re: Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

Claudia:
I am so sorry you and your baby are going through this. We also had breathing issues with 2 pups last December. We did lose both, one at 1 week , the other who we had in oxygen at home, we lost at 3 weeks.
But we used steam to help break up the congestion as well as gentle thumps to his chest to help break it up. He did have a few good days following the steam treatments, but sadly it was just too advanced for us to save him. You could also try running the shower really hot and steaming your bathroom.
Blessings and prayers for you and your baby. God I know how horrible this is for you... Hugs!

I had a puppy with similar symptoms ......I too thought I needed an oxygen tent. I ended up rushing my puppy off to Cornell. They kept him alive for almost two days....but diagnosed him with patent ductus arteriosus...a heart defect.....blood bypasses the lungs causing fluid to build up .......which causes labored breathing and symptoms of pneumonia .........he did not survive. I only hope that this is not your puppy's problem.....good luck......I am sending positive thoughts your way.

Latest update, I am at my office with an oxygin mask on the pup. He is warm, no concestion (listened with my stethoscope). He seems perfect in everyway. Maybe his egg was messed up from breeding too late??
I don't know, Iguess God is the only one that knows. I just never thought, knowing from radiograph, that there were only 2 pups that there would be any issue. delivery was great. Go figure...
Thanks for all the help and kindness. She seems to be turning for the worse, but I just can't let go until I have exhausted all. The ER vet is on my way back home. Will stop there if no better. Thanks, Claudia

Yes, we all have had one of those once in awhile. You need to hold him upside down in your hands and just try to let the fluid out of his lungs. You need to aspirate him even if you have to use your mouth and place your mouth over the puppies mouth and nose and suck out the fluid. Then hold him upside down with his face facing the floor and his back toward the ceiling. Also keep him warm bhy placing him under your shirt or sweater while you hold him upside down. Keep trying to aspirate him. Don't be grossed out you need to try to save your puppy and just letting him lie there is not going to help. Get him upside down and them up again and listen to his lungs. Ellie

In addition--as you are holding him with his head down rub his ribs with both hands. Just keep working with him and don't try to get him to nurse till you get his breathing under control ellie

Re: Re: Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

hey,
I did all that, this is not the normal pup with the fluid in the lung thing...if anything I was surprised at the lack of fluid. I have him in an oxygen mask, listened to him with a stethoscope and even took a chest X-ray, no apparent fluid in there and no "pneumonia" look to the lobes. I always use the aspirator and hold them down and rub whether I think they need it or not. He still seems to be worsening and getting weaker. Temp is subnormal in spite of the warming pads. I will keep trying! Thank you all for the help. Claudia

Claudia:
I wonder if your baby has a diaphramatic hernia.
As I was reading your entry about his films being clear and him having no congestion that is what I thought of. If it is sliding, the symptoms will vary.
Again I am so sorry for the both of you. And I pray for a miracle!

From your description, the baby sounds toxic.

on my way to ER Vet
Thank you all

I have nothing to offer other than my prayers your baby hangs in there.....so sorry this is happening and prayers that all will be well.....
best to you
Lisa M

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

Well, I lost the battle. Even went to the emergency vet, the Doc said I had done above and beyond and sometimes they just aren't compatable with "life". I gave sub Q fuids, kept warm, tube fed, took a chest Xray, put on Oxygen. She just wasn't meant to be.Did not request necropsy. So, now I will turn my heart and head to her sister, who is absolutely fine, I hope I just hope Stella does not "overmother" this one and cause a problem.
Thank you all for your kindness and help during this event. You are the best! Happy new Year to all! Claudia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

(((hugs))) I am sorry for your loss.

Yes and the pup didn't make it -- may have aspirated at birth due to ruptured sac. I suspect yours has/had fluid in the lungs. So sorry.

So sorry the pup didn't make it :{, i've had a few of those over the years and they normally don't make it
:{
Aloha,
Jackie

So sorry for your loss. You'll take comfort in knowing you tried everything you possibly could.

Was hoping for better news this sm Claudia. I am so sorry. Godspeed sweet baby!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

My heartfelt sympathy to you, Claudia. Godspeed, sweet baby.

what antibiotics would you have used?

Sorry this baby was lost. It's always hard.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I would use (for starters) the antibiotic recommended by my wonderful Vet. When faced with a litter of very ill newborn puppies many years ago, we first used a broad spectrum antibiotic (injectable). Lab work helped us develop a list of antibiotics that the infection might be more sensitive to. We switched to the antibiotic at the top of that list. Several weeks of intensive care later, 3 of our 8 precious babies were still alive and, finally, well.

Replying to:

what antibiotics would you have used?

Sorry this baby was lost. It's always hard.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

Thank you all so much for your help and support. I am so sad over this baby but am now focused on her sister who seems perfect! You gfolks are the best!
Claudia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: newborn gasping for breath

"Thank you all so much for your help and support. I am so sad over this baby but am now focused on her sister who seems perfect! You gfolks are the best!
Claudia"
There is good reason this is called the "heartbreak hobby". Enjoy your baby girl... and please do keep us posted on her progress as she grows.

I am so sorry for your loss. You did all you could.

Prayers her sister continues to thrive.

RIP sweet baby girl.