Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Talk about low entries!

Maybe misprint, but info dog is showing only one entry puppy bitch 9-12 for todays Colombiana Show in Ohio. Never saw that before!

Re: Talk about low entries!

I'm sure the economy is to blame. Not just people leaving their puppies home to keep entry fees down, but many of us over the last year have opted not to have a litter that we may otherwise have had, so you have fewer puppies in that age group.

I know we have made both of these choices lately.

Mike

Re: Re: Talk about low entries!

Catalog on info dog shows only one Labrador entry TOTAL for the show.

Well from looking at that one entry the bitch is #36 which means that there are several other bitches entered and just not listed. I would tend to think that it is just a misprint. You can look at the entry breakdown or the judging schedule to get the correct amount of the entries.

According to the judging program there are 25 total labs entered 12 dogs, 11 bitches, 1 dog special and 1 bitch special. They were in ring 7 at 9am.

More shows in recent years have lowered entries. When we do work hard to build a Major then the top
Handlers show up and take them, not always but we can't deny that it happens. No argument that the dogs are probably presented better or even deserving.
That how ever does not change the perception that you have to end up with a Handler to finish a dog. Many
can not afford to pay the money to have the dog professionally shown, thus they do not enter. I wish so much that AKC would have a Breeder- Owner- Handler Championship designation. Probably would not work because once again those with money would find a way
to put a Handler as the breeder. Like a Pro Handler would have time to do anything but sign a paper! I do not call that Bred By.

Re: Re: Re: Talk about low entries!

Agree that sending a dog out with a handler could average 2000.00 a month , fees, milage, hotel expenses boarding, entries. Expensive undertaking for sure.

*Agree that sending a dog out with a handler could average 2000.00 a month , fees, milage, hotel expenses boarding, entries. Expensive undertaking for sure.y*

It could cost that much to go on your own by the time you pay for someone to stay at your house with your other dogs, your hotel bill, mileage, restaurants, etc. $2,000 is probably cheap.

The SATISFACTION of doing it YOURSELF is priceless.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Talk about low entries!

I think that in ways this is becoming a sport for the well off. I don't think too many people would dispute that the right handler can put a title on a dog that wouldn't otherwise get there. I love the idea of having a owner handled CH title.

But you sure wouldn't get the same results as you do with that pro. $2000 a month is cheap? What do you do for a living?

Sadly, the end result is all that matters to some and not how they got there. Just as in many things in life, there is an advantage to having money. Those without it tend to stay less recognized as a rule. On that note, I wonder how long it will be before someone utters the phrase, "sour grapes" here? I simply wish that the playing field was more level, not that I had the deck stacked in my favor.

Another reason why there are low entries is that there are too many shows.

The playing field will never be more level. This is true an any competitive sport.

Also AKC was supposed to be putting in effect a change for the bred by class. The breeder must show the dog in winners. Sometimes people will show the dog in the bred-by class and then hand them off to another person to show in winners. Im not sure if they put this in effect yet.

Jen

That would make it harder for the pros that are also breeders to show their own in bred by, and compete against their own clients.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Talk about low entries!

Very true!! I never put my own dogs in bred-by, with the fear that i may have a conflict.

jen

2k a month may be cheap but if you are showing for 3 months to finish a dog, 5k and 6k is an expensive voyage.

*Agree that sending a dog out with a handler could average 2000.00 a month , fees, milage, hotel expenses boarding, entries. Expensive undertaking for sure.y*

**It could cost that much to go on your own by the time you pay for someone to stay at your house with your other dogs, your hotel bill, mileage, restaurants, etc. $2,000 is probably cheap.**

Showing your own dog 4 weekends for a month, could easily add up to $2,000 in the Northeast or West Coast. I seldom go that often, but can be away for a weekend and spend $500 by the time I pay expenses and house/pet sitter....which is why I don't go 4 weekends in a row.

Quote, "you pay for someone to stay at your house with your other dogs"

That's called a husband, the only reason I have him around :)

*That's called a husband, the only reason I have him around :)*

I've been looking for one of those. Anybody have any leftovers? :-)

I wish I could show 4 weekends a month, either with a handler or without. Little things like work, family, a life, they all interfere with that! If you can afford spending all that loot, over 2,000 a month on a hobby, I'm sure a husband wouldn't be that hard to find!

There is a mistake. Jennier Stotts went Winners dog and I think Winners Bitch. I might be wrong on Winners Bitch. I didn't get a catalog - $5.00 for a one day catalog is to expensive. Breed went to a Millmar Bitch shown by Sam Mammano. In the 9-12 puppy bitch class there were three bitches and Splash's making waves took 1st.

I agree with the above posts. This sport is getting way to expensive. The entries at this small show were $28 per dog and no break on puppies.

trust me, a dog-sitter or using a handler is cheaper!
When you fire one of those, they don't take half of what you own!

On that note, I wonder how long it will be before someone utters the phrase, "sour grapes" here
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking negatively of professional handlers and those who use them does not come across as anything positive, thus "sour grapes" does shine through.

My husband helps out with the dogs also, and I am grateful. I feel sad for yours.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

That's called a husband, the only reason I have him around

If you have a dog that you intend to finish if it is mature enough to compete for the points, using a handler or going yourself to shows will be about the same price if you look at about 30 plus shows to finish the dog. Not a lot of people have the time to drop out for 7 days to attend a 5 day show cluster.

Gas is way down, that should help. The economy wouldn't stop me, not yet.

Gas may be down but heating fuel is not -- our propane is 30 to 40 cents per gallon more this year than last. When company was asked for an explanation why since oil/gas is down they are so high, they said they had to contract way in advance at higher prices. So when you have to spend $100 per week just to keep your house at 60 during the day and at night when you are not home/sleeping something is very wrong with the system (and house is not that drafty). Expenses have to be cut thus no dog shows right now.

As for puppy classes -- if no break is given for pups we haven't been entering them. By raising prices these clubs are actually costing themselves entries so they would have been better off leaving them where they were -- $28 to show a puppy is getting ridiculous, especially when some judges barely give them a once over.
(and yes I am on a large all breed club's show committee so well aware of expenses and I agitated for not raising prices).

Since gas prices will likely shoot up again for the summer I don't see the trend of lower entries changing any time soon.

any results from the show today???

Clubs are about all gettin g to be 30.00 per entry, bet they start going to 35.00 shortly.

Club would love to get $30 per entry. By the time the AKC and the superintendent get their cut and the club's bills are paid, the clubs net very little.

*Gas may be down but heating fuel is not *

That's something we all have to pay for. Mine isn't propane but it's still heating fuel 1 way or another. I know lotsa people that locked in ahead of time. I have no idea what mine will be each time as the bill comes every 2 months. My last Heating Gas bill was $300 a month.

Food didn't come down with gasoline nor did dog food that went up. Companies are taking advantage but I don't think the clubs are. Their expenses increase so who should pay for it. The xhib does and should.