Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When Placing Older Pups/Adults in your program.. what do you do??

I am placing an older pup/Adult and this is only my 2nd time of placing an older one. I was just wondering if there is anything additional I should be doing. My current protocol is to:

Initially do a adoption questionnaire and then interview the family at our home. I want to see how our dog/bitch reacts to the family as well as how the family interacts with them. I then bring the dog/bitch to their home and go over the same process making sure they look comfortable. I then provide copies of all the medical records upon adoption and ensure that there is a current physical and dewormings/flea/tick medication administered. We do everything by a Spay/Neuter Contract ensuring no Registration paperwork is released until we receive documentation from the Vet that the dog/bitch has been spayed or neutered. Upon receipt of the spay/neutering we send certifed mail the AKC paperwork.

Is there anything else that I should be doing.. we spend so much time raising and caring for these guys I just want to do the best by them.

Re: When Placing Older Pups/Adults in your program.. what do you do??

I have mine spay/neuter first before they leave my house, they recover here. [that is a period] Than they go to their new home, I pass the spay/neuter costs on to the new owner, and sometimes that is all they pay , I'm okay with that. If I've done alot of tests , and training, I adjust costs accordingly.

When I place older dogs I tell the owner there is a 4 week trial period during which the dog may be returned for any reason with a full refund.

Re: Re: When Placing Older Pups/Adults in your program.. what do you do??

My dogs are almost always spayed and neutered before they go to their new families. If there is a retired couple that is adopting one of our girls who needs to be spayed but won't be coming into heat for 4 to 6 months, I might let them go. I prefer to spay and neuter and my vet loves all the business over the years. I adjust the cost of the spay and neuter and depending on what is wrong with the dog as to why I am placing him or her, I always charge the price of a puppy if under the age of 3, otherwise the adoption price goes down significantly and many times it's the price of a spay ( $20.00 )

I also sell my adopted dogs on my regular written health guarantee and if I am selling the dog at regular puppy price and something genetically goes wrong with their dog, I always offer to give them a new puppy or adult dog when they are ready. This would have to be a condition that either renders their dog non funtional or a condtion where they had to spend a great deal of money on during that dog's life.

Of course the new owners know they need to bring their dog back to us should they no longer be able to keep her or him. There is always a trial period which amounts to the rest of their dog's life !!

Re: Re: Re: When Placing Older Pups/Adults in your program.. what do you do??

I spay or neuter before they leave. Add that in the the price I ask for the dog. Depends if the dog has a health issue what I might ask for a price. Bad hip, elbow ? I would tell them everything, but you would know down the road the dog might need extra care. I give them all the same that you are sending home with the dog. Tell them I will sign over the papers after a month. But the dog can come back to me anytime in its life just like any other puppy I breed and send out from my home. They can come back at twelve if something comes up where the family has a hardship.

Re: Re: Re: When Placing Older Pups/Adults in your program.. what do you do??

Where do you get yours spayed for 20 bucks? I need to know cause I pay a whole lot more than that!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My dogs are almost always spayed and neutered before they go to their new families. If there is a retired couple that is adopting one of our girls who needs to be spayed but won't be coming into heat for 4 to 6 months, I might let them go. I prefer to spay and neuter and my vet loves all the business over the years. I adjust the cost of the spay and neuter and depending on what is wrong with the dog as to why I am placing him or her, I always charge the price of a puppy if under the age of 3, otherwise the adoption price goes down significantly and many times it's the price of a spay ( $20.00 )

I also sell my adopted dogs on my regular written health guarantee and if I am selling the dog at regular puppy price and something genetically goes wrong with their dog, I always offer to give them a new puppy or adult dog when they are ready. This would have to be a condition that either renders their dog non funtional or a condtion where they had to spend a great deal of money on during that dog's life.

Of course the new owners know they need to bring their dog back to us should they no longer be able to keep her or him. There is always a trial period which amounts to the rest of their dog's life !!

Geesh - drop the term "adoption". You are "selling" or "placing" the dog.

Does it really matter if she/he calls it adoption,selling or placing? Aren't they basically all the same?

Definition of Adoption...

a·dopt (ə-dŏpt') Pronunciation Key
tr.v. a·dopt·ed, a·dopt·ing, a·dopts

To take into one's family through legal means and raise as one's own.

To take and follow (a course of action, for example) by choice or assent: adopt a new technique.
To take up and make one's own: adopt a new idea.
To take on or assume: adopted an air of importance.

I agree. Thats as bad as using foster program to mean coownership for breeding purpuses.