Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joint Supplements

I have a dilema that i am looking for help with. I have always been taught by my old vet to put pups on a joint supplement for the first year of their life and i have always done this. Pups go home with this in their paperwork.
My new vet says no they don't need it. He says that the chemical make up of joint supplements tend to do more damage to a growing young liver than to help any joint issues, in pups or old dogs.
Does anyone have any documentation to support either version? I want to do the right thing and don't want to do dmaage to my babies, so if anyone can point me in a direction where i can learn and or possibley send the information to my new vet who says he will read any documantation that supports giving joint supplements to pups, and old dogs.
Thank you for any help.
Kathy

Re: Joint Supplements

Interesting question, but I doubt anyone did a study to find the answer. I'd be willing to be the vet is guessing. I remember when vets said joint supplements were in the same category as snake oil Now they are recommended for people as well as pets by orthopedists, both human and veterinary. I would ask the vet for the documentation since what he says seems counterintuitive.

Re: Re: Joint Supplements

Ok, Thanks. When he explained it to me he sid that "Thinking like a chemist....." Then gave his thought.

Perhaps your new vet thought you were referring to NSAID's such as rimadyl or deramaxx? I have never heard of stuff like gloucasimine or that sort of supplement harming the liver, only the NSAIDs.

Thanks for the though but no, the discussion was specifically based on cosequin and glucosomine (sp?)

Re: Re: Re: Joint Supplements

I'd want to know what he is basing his info on. Never heard of that.

I also would want to add a supplement with Hyaluronic Acid in it. Have been reading good stuff about that. (plus Vitamin C, and Perna Mussel (New Zealand Green Shell Mussel*) Nature's Farmacy has a decent supplement, but it adds calcium, and I'm leery of that.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Joint Supplements

His thoughts were based on the chemical break down.

Just wnated some thoughs on those of you here, before i try to wade through any type of research that will probably be difficult to understand.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joint Supplements

I've always kept my dogs on joint supplements from the time they could start eating food, I don't stop at a year or two or at any time in their life, been breeding dogs for almost 30 years and no liver or joint problems even on the old dogs, even had one that had mild HD diagnosed at 2 from my old aussie lines which I no longer have but kept her as my pet and she lived till she was 14 1/2 and only had trouble getting up at 14 due to a spinal problem but she was healthy otherwise until bleeding from the mouth and nose took her from me. I use glycoflex 300 and give the adults 6 pills a day split in half in the morn and half at night so I wouldn't give what this vet is telling you any merit. BTW my vet is the one that recommend this course of supplements on my dogs.
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joint Supplements

Thank you.
My old vet reccomended the cosequin and i have always followed this advice. I was taken by surprise today by this new vets thoughts. I had never heard of his theory. When pups go home i reccomend a joint supplement for the first year, while they are growing. I am sure that i will continue this, but wanted the thoughs of those of you who have been breeding longer, probably know things that i don't and because there are other vets that visit here, thought i might get some of their thoughts too.

Hope everyone has a great New Year.
Kathy

Joint supplements are used for pain they have no preventative properties. Don't supplement a normal puppy.

See thats just it, i listened to my vet for years who reccomended joint supplements. Now along comes a different vet who says no to joint supplements that they do not help pups or old dogs, so.... which one do i listen to???? I respect them both, but i guess at the moment i would like some documentation to support either opinion. I was hoping that someone here would have some link in their data base that i could access and try to understand better which way i should treat/not treat my dogs.
Thank you all for your help, i guess i need to start some research.
Kathy

So you listened to your vet for years and supplemented your puppies, did it *help*? You ask "should I treat or not treat my dogs", what are you treating them for? If your puppies are normal then there is no need to *treat* them. You can't improve on God's great work. Joint supplements are for dogs with osteoarthritis and even that is debatable. A good diet, moderate exercise and keeping the puppy lean is a good step towards prevention of future problems. Puppies have enough digestive upsets, why add to it?

It seems like you want to do the right thing but the research just isn't there and these nutraceuticals aren't regulated. Do you think it's right to put something in your contract that you yourself aren't sure is beneficial?

Why not ask your old vet for documentation for why he believes puppies should be supplemented.

Shouldn't a good quality puppy food/biscuit have all that a puppy needs, I have never supplemented with joint formula.

Ok thank you everyone for your thoughts. I will follow through on some of the ideas posted. I have a lunch date with my old vets office manager and will see if she knows why my old vet advocated joint support. If she doesn't then i will go direct to the source.
It always made sense to me to support joints, but does it help? does it hurt? I will see what i can find out either way and the way that i find the best information i guess is the way i will go.
I knew people here would have some thoughts.
Kathy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Joint Supplements

They do put gloucasimine in every brand of large breed puppy food so you would think if it was harmful they would not do that, just a thought.

I spoke to a vet/nutritionist almost two years ago and she told me that Cosequin is the best supplement on the market for helping the joint and bone during the months of formation. It helps to build the cells that are constantly rebuilding and remodeling. I have been using it ever since - on the pups from about 8 weeks to 2 years.

Thank you for all the thoughts and help. I have been online, and searched, i have spoken to my old vet who still says Cosequin for support, glucosemine is fine in her opinion to because as someone else stated that if it were bad then it wouldn't be put in dog food. I am still a bit undecided on what to do but i am grateful for all the thoughts.
Kathy

Glucosamine in dog food is just hype.

So, are you saying that they only SAY its added? That its not really in there????

I think the general concensus is that there isn't enough glucosamine added to foods to do much of anything, or to be of any help.

I have always used a joint supplement with pups and adults - can't say with certainty that it's helped, but I know it's never hurt. Any dog I've raised here has passed both hip and elbow clearances.