Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need a new Camera

My camera is broke and I just wanted to see what everyone is using and likes. I want something that is user friendly, but can also take nice shots like action shots.

Re: Need a new Camera

I just got a canon Powershot Sx10 IS. It took me a little bit to figure it out, but there are somethings that are a challenge to me, this is one. I do like it. It takes great photos. My old camera was a Kodak easy share and though i still like it, it didn't take the photos of my dogs that i wanted.

Re: Re: Need a new Camera

Nikon D50...great camera! Hold the button, get action shots in a lovely series....can be used manual or auto...easy download to comp..I love it!
Lisa M

Re: Re: Re: Need a new Camera

We have a Nikon D80 and it has been worth every penny. Very easy to use and very forgiving for our novice experience.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Need a new Camera

I hate to make this thread sound like a Nikon ad, but I love my Nikon D40!

Barb

Cannon EOS 40D

I also have a Nikon D 50, and love it! Hubby wanted something more compact, and easier to put into his pocket, so Santa brought him a Nikon Cool Pix. He loves it. Looks like we are a bunch of Nikon users!

I had old canon lenses from my 35mm days, so bought a Canon xti so I could keep those lenses.

I am very happy with the camera. One of my old lenses works great. I would like to purchase a new telephoto lens in the future - but gotta save my pennies first, lol.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I also have a Nikon D 50, and love it! Hubby wanted something more compact, and easier to put into his pocket, so Santa brought him a Nikon Cool Pix. He loves it. Looks like we are a bunch of Nikon users!

Nope - I'm a Canon shooter too. I have a 30D, hubby has a 40D and my daughter uses my old Rebel. If you want action shots you really do need a DSLR rather than a point-and-shoot. Most of the DSLR's have auto modes - set it for "sports" and it will set the camera up properly to capture those types of shots. For the newbie, I'd suggest the new Canon Xsi, or a used Xti, which can be found for cheaper.

Since I started with Canon many many years ago, I stayed with Canon. Most of my lenses can be used on any of my camera bodies. Very convenient. No need to buy different lenses every time I upgrade bodies.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need a new Camera

LOL! What makes the Nikons even cooler is that older lenses are still compatible...not as great compared to the new lenses, but they can still be used in some models. I gave Dear Hubby a new lens for Christmas....he still hasn't put the camera down. We have a early 70's Nikon (as well as the D50) that takes the best pictures...not as versatile, more artistic pictures, can't download, but the picture quality is excellent. Nikons last...in my experience. Good investment.
Lisa M

I didn't mean to offend any Canon users, I was just referencing what someone said about this sounding like a Nikon ad. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand, it's just a personal preference.

1) Is camera size a factor? (Are you looking for a pocket size camera?)
2) What is the largest size print you anticipate printing?
3) Price range you want to stay within?
4) What and where will you be shooting mainly? i.e.; indoors/outdoors, still/action, landscapes, portraits?

Ooops, forgot... I wanted to add this link to a site which might be helpful in your search for a new camera:

http://dpreview.com

Has camera buying guide, comparisons, camera data base of current and past models with reviews, etc.
Also has various user forums including Nikon and Canon, beginner, general questions, etc.

I spent 13 years as a professional photographer & worked with a team. We each used about 30 rolls of film every 3 days using both Nikons & Canons, both good cameras. The Canons broke down after a year, the Nikons never did. I currently use a Nikon D80, good for amatures or semi-pros and recommend it highly. Whatever you choose be sure there is no delay between the time you press the shutter release and the photo is actually taken.

I've shot Canons for more than 30 years and never a problem. They will outlive me I am sure. I still use my original camera from 1977 and love it.

*The Canons broke down after a year, the Nikons never did. *

I am not a Canon user. All of their products have been full of problems. That's just my experience.

I'm a Nikon user. I would look into the new Nikon 90, you can change the lense and setting for movies.

I love my Nikon D40!!!!

Jen

If you don't use Canon, how can you say they all have problems???

I'd go on to some of the photography boards and read what professionals do. Seems many of them go back and forth every few years - a "grass is always greener" syndrome. I see people talking about Nikon's problems just as often as I see people complain about Canon issues.

Bottom line - buy whatever you feel comfortable with - both brands are really good cameras.

Free Smiley Face Courtesy of www.FreeSmileys.org

Depends....

If you want an EXCELLENT entry level SLR where you can start building a system with interchangeable lenses, look at the Canon XTi or the Canon 40D depending on your budget. Both of these models should be available at discounted prices since their successors were introduced about 2-3 months ago.

If you really don't want to fool with lenses but still want superb creative control in a sopisticated P&S, you can't possibly go wrong with a Canon G10.

In the SLR category, don't let anyone tell you that Nikon is better than Canon, or vice versa. They are both excellent tools and it often comes down to ergonomics. Visit a camera store and handle both brands and go with what feels right. I'm EXTREMELY partial to Canon, but that's my opinion.

I recently purchased a Sony DSLR, never used one but would recommend looking into the DSLR cameras. I have an extra lens for taking action shots. Mine takes a compact flash card, got the 8gig and you can take pictures forever and then download straight to the computer. Pictures are looking great of the dogs and action shots are amazing.