Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yeasty Bitch

I have a bitch who is cronically yeasty. It seems to be more prevalent just before going into season. Any suggestions on what to do for a yeasty Bitch? It is mainly in her paws and sometimes ears.

Re: Yeasty Bitch

I find it seems to be hormaonally related in my bitches, as well. I give apple cider vinegar in their food, and clean areas with a chlorhexadine soution and keep it dry (might apply rubbing alcohol or Sulfadene, depending on area.)

The Great Dane Lady has a good article on yeast problems, although it is a lengthy protocol. I'd try getting some ketoconazole from your vet to clear it up and then give grain free food a try. It might work.

What are the thoughts about breeding yeast-prone bitches (or dogs)? Is it a hereditary issue?

Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

first determine if it is a food issue. I had a friend with a real problem.. Recommended Taste of The Wild and she has been clear ever since. She was even using monistat in her ears and between her toes all the time!
Worth a try and it is great food.

Re: Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

How much apple cider in food?

Talk to your vet about oral ketaconozole. It is used for systemic yeast infections and is very effective.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

I just dump a dollop; it's likely a tablespoon or 2.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

how often?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

Once a day.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

Thank you so much I am going to try it.

ACV does not work, tried it for months.

Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

Sorry it didn't work for you. Maybe it depends on the type of yeast? ie: not useful for a systemic problem??

Re: Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

I was trying for the "sad" icon not the "mad" one. Hopefully I hit the right one this time!

I have a related question - does pink coat on the feet always indicate allergies?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yeasty Bitch

This has been a frustrating problem for me too. I tried the apple cider vinegar also, and it caused my girl to lick her rear end a lot as it appeared irritating. The keto works, but then the yeast eventually returned. I switched to grain-free food, Natures Variety Rabbit/Salmon, and low and behold, a miricle happened. All yeast disappeared. I had my old girl back with clearest ears and feet in years! Coat nice and thick. I went back for a second bag of the rabbit, and can't find rabbit, so no problem, tried the duck/turkey grain free. My girl ripped her feet open and began chewing within 7 days of duck/turkey. Geez. And Lamb caused hot spots from hell. I never thought it was the meat source, but maybe so with her. Now, I have her on Canidae Salmon Grain-free, cause I can't find that darn NV Rabbit, and she's just not as clear as before. Any suggestions would be great. THanks.

I was experiencing the same things with ears and biting feet. I talked to the lady at my feed store and she mentioned that I try a non-poltry food rather than a grain free. She said that she has had many customers lately with problems from chicken related food rather than grain related food and she has 2 boston terriers herself that can't have a lick of chicken without problems. I don't know if it works long term yet but am trying a fish based food on the 2 girls with issues but so far so good in a few weeks.