Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Back Up Hard Drives

Would some one please recommend a good external hard drive? I got a Seagate 5GB for Xmas and it stinks with all kinds of bugs.

I live in fear of the day my PC crashes and I lose all my Lab pictures..I'd be devastated.

Please help the PC challenged

Re: Back Up Hard Drives

I have seagate, not the easiest to use but seems to be backing up primary just fine....what bugs? I ran Avast after installation...all was clear. Still run Avast weekly to clear anything on system I might have picked up that the primary scan missed..no prob!

Re: Re: Back Up Hard Drives

Mine keeps telling me "drive not found write error" or backed up with errors.

Re: Re: Re: Back Up Hard Drives

what system? XP or Vista?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Back Up Hard Drives

xp

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Back Up Hard Drives

Worked on mine, I have XP home...maybe someone else more savvy in comp things can help? Anybody available?
Sorry...tapped my total comp resource..LOL!
Lisa M

Have you considered Carbonite? I easily found an online coupon and paid less than $40.00 for a year. Automatically backs up continually. I know you can back up for free, but this takes the hassle out of it for me, well worth the money

http://www.carbonite.com/

The Western Digital Book design. They go on sale often. 5 GB is not enough. 250 Gigabytes or more should be ample.

if you only need 5 gigs, get a flash drive, one of those little sticks. easy to use, stick it on your key chain

barb

I honestly don't know, but think my externals are Western Digitals - could be something else I got on sale. I use REGULAR hard drives like you would install in your computer and put them into an external case. They connect via USB 2.0 connector to the computer. I use one for storage of my email and other stuff I would not want to lose if the computer goes down. I use the second one for backing up BOTH the main computer Docs file and the email, etc. from the first external. The second one is only turned on to retrieve a file or for backup. The first one is on all the time the desktop is in use.

I have not had a problem with either one. The case is from MadDog.

Re: Re: Back Up Hard Drives

I meant a 500 GB Freeagent ..I have lots of pictures...all my contracts and stuff I would be sick to lose.

I'm going to look at the western digital 500GB Passport on sale at Costco.

I'd be scared to have my private files out on the Internet someplace.

I'm sure it's fine but knowing me I'd worry that someone was looking or stealing private information.

Don't forget to EJECT

Seagate or western digital,, if you get that error,, it means you unplug it without ejecting it. you must go to MY COMPUTER and right click and eject or you wil get that error or XP,,, usually not on Vista,, but you should always eject it,, or you will have major problems.

If you have the orginial software on it you should always do a complete reformat to meet your needs. Usually, a right mouse, reformat, also you can reformat to Fat32 or NTFS,, you need ro research on which you want to run. I choose NTFS

Hope this helps

I have a Maxtor 150 GB

All my client files are on it, along with a ton of mp3's, my iPod backup and pictures. It's moved files between two computers in recent years.

Since EHD are still HD, it's a good idea to back them up on DVD or CD's on a regular basis.