Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bark control

We live out in the country where most "pet folks" just let their pets wander the neighborhood, and yes, they BARK !!!! They will start at one end of the street, and gradually upset everyone else's dogs, and that's when our 2 or three will become bothered by the noise, and join in. Our guys are safely fenced in, and usually just stay inside the house on their beds, but a few of our younger gang seem to have no tolerance for their noisy neighbors, and bark out of frustration. Is there actually a "bark control" device that works? We don't want to shell out money for a piece of %!#%!!!! Sure hope some of you have experience with these products that emit a high pitched sound deterrent with any success.

Re: bark control

Surely your county has a leash control law - I'd start by calling animal control about the loose dogs. You can't be too far out in the country if you live on a street!

The ultrasonic devices haven't worked for people I know that have purchased them. What works for me are bark collars - the kinds that zaps the dog. But that won't do anything for the neighbor dogs barking on the street, just your dogs.

not everywhere has those type of laws. We live in an area where he good old boys still run their hounds during deer season.
If there was a leash law they would not be able to do this.
So our county does not have a leash law. We do have a law that requires pets to be vaccinated for rabies by a vet but do not required that they be registered.

To get a stray dog picked up I have to call 911 and report a dangerous or annoyance dog issue,then it can take 2-3 days for animal control to get out here.
Usually I have to catch the dog and take it into the shelter myself and of course after I see the tons of dogs in there I end up leaving a donation for food.

I tried these on the recommendation of another poster here & found they worked well with most of my dogs - I had one who took a bit longer but it still helped:

http://www.canadianbarkcontrol.com/index.htm