Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA / coat

My boy has to get his ofa hips and elbows done. Our vet will sedate him to be sure to get good positioning.
My concern is he had a lousy coat all summer and is now looking very good finally. So how bad will being sedated affect his coat?

thank you

Re: OFA / coat

no affect

Being sedated wont cause him to blow some coat ?

Re: Re: OFA / coat

It has not with mine in the past. Can't give you a scientific answer, just my experience

Re: Re: Re: OFA / coat

Thank you Maureen

I have had some blow some coat and but most not at all. The ones that do, it has never been bad. I do have friends with other breeds who tend to blow a ton of coat when getting OFA's. More nervous breeds though.

I had the same concern about mine but my vet uses a sedative, not general so he said it wouldn't effect coat at all!

Re: Re: OFA / coat

I can not attest to the science of this, but I was told by a vet long ago that it is the hypothermia from keeping a dog under sedation that causes the coat shed. If they are only sedated for a short time, it would seem logical that their body temp does not go down much. I know my vet uses light sedation sufficient only to get complete relaxation and only long enough to take the films. YMMV

Ya know I never gave it a thought. When they turned 1 year they went in for prelims. When they turned 2 they went in for finals. Never has one blow coat till my last girl. She was in full coat and going into specialty season. I took her in and within 2 weeks I got her results back but had a dog that was going naked! Next time I will wait....