Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coccidiosis

I have four week old pups getting close to weaning time. I dread the worry of a Coccidiosis outbreak.
I purchased a bottle of liquid Corid (amprolium) Is this used by any breeders and if so what is the recommended dosages. Are there other medications that one can recommend without a prescription?

Re: Coccidiosis

If you have a good vet . I would Finalty GET Albon ...

Dont risk it....

Corid water did nothing for my litter. I ended up with Albon anyway.

Re: Re: Coccidiosis

I now prophylactily treat my pups with albon and febendazole prior to them going home, as otherwise, they will invaribly come down with a coccidia or giardia outbreak, right when ready to go home! this has worked well for me. the febendazole also rids them of multiple types of worms.

We had our first litter with coccidia about 9 years ago and have had issues with it off and on UNTIL about 2 years ago. Becky Jack told me she used a product by Eagle Pack called; Holistic Solutions.
In a nut shell, I begin putting it on the puppies feed as soon as they start going off Mom and transition to puppy food - roughly 4 weeks of age. I keep them on it until they go home. The puppies I keep will stay on it until they are about 12 weeks old. You just sprinkle it on the food. It is only probiotics, so no script needed. Works like a charm - also known as "Magic Sprinkles" at our house! Stools stay firm and no coccidia. Just had a Vet Ophthalmologist purchase a puppy from my latest litter. Told him I was using the Holistic solutions. He took in stool samples on the entire litter and said it looked like they might have had some coccidia at one point, but the organisms that he saw under the microscope were all dead. He thought that was facinating, so he's SOLD on the product.
It is easy to get online. Just Google it!

LuAnn

LuAnn - I looked at the Eagle Pack site and they have a whole selection of items called Holistic Solutions. Is what you use one of the digestive aids that looks like it's in a salt shaker? And do you use "Holistic Solution" or "Holistic Transition"? Thanks for this suggestion - I struggle with coccidia with almost every litter.