Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Injury

I have a six monh old puppy that is full of beans and over did it playing in the snow. I THINK she may have slipped at some point and maybe has pulled a muscle in her rear leg/thigh.
We do have a vet appointment on Wednesday but am wondering if anyone has any home remedies I can try until we see our vet. Its been like it now for a week.

Re: Puppy Injury

Crate rest? Warm heat pad? I hope your pup is ok...

Hope it's not her cruciate ligament! Good luck - crate rest and NSAIDs from the vet.

I have a six month old "wild one" that seemed to catch a paw on the ice and then his sister pushed into him.
Limping for a day.
X-rays do not show anything broken.
Now two weeks later, he is not limping but seems to be down in the pastern on that front paw.
Is it just a coincedence at this age or could he have done something that did not show up on x-ray?
Follow-up Vet appointment on Wed.
Thoughts?

Re: Re: Puppy Injury

I find that puppies can sprain their wrists quite easily.
The other puppy, it is unlikely to be a torn cruciate at 6 months. I would not use heat however as that will increase inflammation in an acute injury: use ice for 15 minutes.

My guy is the one who caught his paw on the ice.
The vet initially gave him a weeks worth of metacam for the inflamation.
Any thoughts on what else to do to get him walking on that paw better?
When he lays down, all looks fine.
When he stands up on it, he is down in the pastern but only on that one injured side.
Help!

Re: Re: Puppy Injury

If you're pup did a "Bambi"/splayed legs out, an unusual but not unheard of injury could be the ilopsoas (sp.) ligament. It's on the inside of the thigh. Treatment is cage rest/leash walks only. It usually resolves w/in 1 - 4 weeks. I had one of my lab babies w/that injury. Good luck!