Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
color indicates temperament?

I missed this the last time I saw the show but I just heard the announcer say that all canine colors come from just 2 colors--yellow and black and that temperamentg is linked to color..red being more sensitive to stress.

Re: color indicates temperament?

are we speaking about any dog in general or labs?

Because black and chocolate are the "true" colors for labs. Black being dominant and chocolate being recessive. Yellow is caused by a gene that masks the "true" color. Its basically lack of pigment in the hair follicles. So a yellow dog with a black nose and black pigment around the eyes is a black dog with the gene showing and a yellow dog with a pink nose and pink pigment around the eyes is a chocolate dog with the gene showing.

Re: Re: color indicates temperament?

what about a yellow dog with chocolate pigment?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

are we speaking about any dog in general or labs?

Because black and chocolate are the "true" colors for labs. Black being dominant and chocolate being recessive. Yellow is caused by a gene that masks the "true" color. Its basically lack of pigment in the hair follicles. So a yellow dog with a black nose and black pigment around the eyes is a black dog with the gene showing and a yellow dog with a pink nose and pink pigment around the eyes is a chocolate dog with the gene showing.

Re: Re: color indicates temperament?

Why when we talk about a yellow with No Black Pigment, we always call it pink? When the nose obviously looks liver pigmented. My chocolates don't have pink noses. They have brown noses. And the yellows I see that so many call "Dudley's" also have these brown noses.

Otherwise what you said makes ABSOLUTE sense.

Re: Re: Re: color indicates temperament?

Ok, there are chocolate nosed yellows AND there are PINK ones...

Re: color indicates temperament?

On the show they were talking about *any* dog. It was stated all dog colors come from 2 colors--yellow and black. Color is linked to personality. Then he stated red dogs are more sensitive to stress. Is this true in other breeds? I have been talking to Cavalier King Charles breeders and a few say there is a difference in temperament in their breed. Tri-colored more independent, blacks and tans and rubies more high strung, blenheim (tan and white( more affectionate. I have no idea if this is true a few of the breeders I talked to mentioned it. Without me asking. What do breeders in other breeds say--anyone?