Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PLEASE HELP-My Dog Stinks

This message is not meant to be funny, but I have a six month old male puppy who has a bad odor. We have taken him to the vet(it wasn't anal glands, or bad ears). We then bathed him and the smell went away for about two days, and now its back. We've had labs for about 15 years, and we've never encountered this odor. He hasn't shown any signs of allergies (hot spots, cysts, or anything else). Its a general odor that seems to be across his entire body-the smell rubs off on your hand if you pet him anywhere. We are currently feeding Pro Plan Puppy Chicken and Rice.

PLEASE PLEASE Help,we are used to having him around our kids and on our couch, but right now, its hard to have him in the room for long.

Any advice????

Re: PLEASE HELP-My Dog Stinks

Is there something that he rolls in when he's outdoors? Do you wash his bedding weekly? Does he stay in a kennel or is he a house dog? You may consider taking him to your Vet and asking the Vet to do some impression smears of his skin, some skin scrapings and check him with a woods lamp for a fungal infection. If you have no luck with your regular Vet you may consider a trip to the Veterinary Dermatologist. Best of luck!

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP-My Dog Stinks

In my expierience it sounds a bit like yeast. Talk to your vet. See if maybe they think there is a food issue and see if the vet thinks you should try changing to a completly different food. If this is the problem it may take a few weeks for it to clear up, but again, ask your vets opinion to see if maybe they think this could be the issue. I had this problem with one of my pups that went home. They called me after 6 months to tell me they loved the dog but he stunk. When they did a complete food change the smell went away.

Best of luck.

If he's crated in a plastic type varikennel, you may want to switch to a wire crate for more ventilation. I know it sounds rather simple, but this worked once for me.

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP-My Dog Stinks

Dog's feet or their ears can cause an oder. You can wash the bottoms of their feet, as between the pads, with a deoderant soap. Rinse well. Also the smell can be from their ears. I use Epiotic as an ear wash. Ellie

Re: Re: Re: PLEASE HELP-My Dog Stinks

We had a few dogs that had a very strong odor when they were on Pro Plan Chicken and Rice... its some type of oil in the food

Talk to your vet about switching foods.

I had a friend w/ a Lab that had a "off" odor. Same thing, bathing worked for a few days, no skin or ear problems. Turned out to be a urinary tract infection. Might want to drop off a fresh urine sample next time you go by the vet just to make sure.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

(reason: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please)