Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Expenses

It's been a while since I've sent a dog off with a handler, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me an estimate of what the "daily expenses" amount to. I know the handling fees; just trying to get an idea of what the rest will cost me.
Thanks.

Re: Expenses

Just ask some handlers in your area for their rate sheet. Everyone is different!

For an all breed show I would expect to pay 60-100 depending on area and handler

For a specialty I would expect to pay 75 and up again depending on area and handler.

Expenses are diff...some charge mileage and some a flat fee etc.

Re: Re: Expenses

I have the rate sheets. What I'm trying to get a handle on is what the expenses other than the actual handling fee amount to per day. The handlers I'm familiar with split those expenses--gas, hotels, etc.,--among the owners of the dogs on their trucks. As I said, it's been a while since I've sent a dog out, and I know expenses have increased. Is it $20 per day? $30? More?

Re: Re: Re: Expenses

Do you tip and if so, how much??? TIA

Dear Wondering - - its really best to check with the handler you are going to use as it all differs. Getting a rough estimate here will do no good when it does not match your chosen handlers fees. The expenses are expensive! You can be prepared for that.

I am paying $12 a day right now

I currently pay -
For all Breed shows
$45 per day expenses
$15 per day board
$75 per show handling fee

for Supported entries and Specialties
$150 - $200 per show handling fees + all the other expenses & fees

Entry fees are additional

WOW those expenses seem high.

Here is what I pay:
$85 handling
$15-20/day for expenses depending on how many other dogs to split costs.

I don't pay board if the dog is just with the handler for the show.

here are rates from a all breed handler

http://www.bishandler.com/rates.htm

That guy better be REAL good cause thats REAL high!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Expenses

he is real

I second this - it is real.

I said REAL GOOD, not just real

I guess the rates are real good. What is real good to you?

Real as in that is a real handler's rates, like it or not.

Try specialing a dog for a year!

http://www.campschultz.net/Registrations.htm

Try specialing and you dont ask about the money..

Re: "real"

Thank goodness I've been able to finish dogs without paying that kind of money......reality is I could never pay it.

Thanks to those of you who actually tried to answer my question. I'm trying to figure if my budget can stretch far enough to occasionally send my boy off with a handler to shows that I won't be going to myself. I really like showing him myself, but sometimes there may be a show/judge I'd like to try with a handler.

All handlers charge differently. But you also get what you pay for. Do your homework ask lots of questions!!!!!!

If your only going to send your dog out for a weekend here or there, then most of the handlers split the expenses between the dogs they are carrying. Therefore its not that expensive. But then again every handler is different. Of course if you send your dog out for a month, then yes, thats when it gets expensive....

Jen

1800 to 2000.00 a month would be a fair estimation for a dog going out with a handler in the classes.

Approx 13 shows@ 85.00 1105
Entries at about 30.00 each 390
30 days boarding at 10.00 300
Split expenses depends on where shows are 4 weekends at 100 2195 total