Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
e-collar training

Does anyone out there have a good resource about e-collar training? TIA

Re: e-collar training

Check out Mike Lardy's or The Dobbs' websites. There will information there for you in the form of books available or workshops on e-collar conditioning.

I found it most helpful to find a trainer who is comfortable using the e-collar. Reading material is one thing, but the practical application was most helpful to me. My trainer de-mystified the collar for me and showed me how to use it as one of several training tools.

Re: Re: e-collar training

Where are you located?

Re: Re: Re: e-collar training

I have had excellent results with e collar training. It is safe and if used correctly not ABUSIVE.

Re: Re: Re: Re: e-collar training

Can we use them on children?

At times, one could only wish!!!

Why only wish? E-collars are not abusive.

We may KNOW that but I doubt the authorities would agree. Kind of along the lines of using a crate to "contain" small children.

Replying to: "We may KNOW that but I doubt the authorities would agree. Kind of along the lines of using a crate to "contain" small children."

LOL Bad Mother Alert! When I first started showing, my son was a few years younger (about 5 YO) and when he would get cranky at a show, I'd have him go in the crate and take a nap with the dog! Sometimes while we went into the ring, he'd be sitting in the crate playing a video game. At least I knew where he was and he wasn't pestering anyone.

Kim, I think seeing that at a dog show wouldn't cause a fuss at all. However.....I bet if your now older son went to school and said "Mommy used to put me in a doggy crate so she'd know where I was" a few eyebrows would be raised!

Replying to: "Kim, I think seeing that at a dog show wouldn't cause a fuss at all. However.....I bet if your now older son went to school and said "Mommy used to put me in a doggy crate so she'd know where I was" a few eyebrows would be raised!"

Oh, I'm sure of it! It's something only dog people (and probably mostly only dog people with kids) would understand.

So VERY true!!!!!