Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
judges

Ok, question for all you chocolate breeders out there, does any one have any judges that they like or should i say that like chocolates?

Re: judges

Let's hope that judges are looking at the quality of the dog, not the color.

Re: Re: judges

Who are you kidding?

let's hope but as we all know even for a newbie it doesn't always work that way!

I've heard Pat Trotter likes to give points to chocolates.

Where did you hear that? Check her record.

If it's a good dog, it shouldn't, and doesn't matter....

Ted, I'm not kidding anyone. There are good judges out there who look at the dog; not the color or the handler.

True! Just as there are many that do look at color and probably more that look at who is on the end of the lead. When I send my dog out in front of certain judges with a handler, I know my dog has a much better chance and I will admit that. You are paying for that better chance.

Re: Re: Re: judges

But were there chocolates to choose from? Many shows I've been to lately haven't had any chocolates entered.

There are judges that still will not take a good look at chocolates. A shame. They look the best they have ever looked. Most even good breeder judges, will still go for a beautiful black over the very nice chocolates. It is a fact. Yes, we always look to see who will put up a good chocolate.

Re: Re: Re: Re: judges

Look for breeder judges who have chocolates themselves. Not a guarantee by any means, but it can't hurt.
And even better, show to judges with a reputation for finding the best dog regardless. Contrary to what some folks seem to feel, they're out there.

Virginia Lyne tends to favor chocolates, but it has to be a good one as she certainly knows a good Lab. I have been under her several times and noticed this trend, if there is a good chocolate she will find it.

Sue Willumsen
Cheryl Curtis

You're right. There are many that are color blind. Had one that always picks yellows, gave my black boy a reserve to the major. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Handler said I should be happy because this particular judge always gives everything to yellows regardless of who is handling. In other words, her really liked my dog, but just couldn't get past the color!

Pat Trotter likes her handler friends...guess that statement would be true if one of them had a choc!

20 years ago this would have been a good question. At that time, good chocolates were few and far between. Judges knew if a chocolate walked in their ring, it probably was not worthy. We looked for "chocolate judges" back then that would give our dogs a fair shake. Chocolates have come a long way and there are many outstanding dogs. It is not a problem anymore.

Re: Re: Re: Re: judges

Agreed

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: judges

Ditto!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Agreed