Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Home Again Microchip Question

I thought I read here something about registering Home Again microchips somewhere else besides with Home Again. Does the AKC keep a registry? What is CAR (came up in my search)? If there is another way to register these chips, what is the fee? $15/year seems alot to ask buyers to keep up with. If they only pay the first year and don't pay after that, do they remove the dog from their registry? Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Home Again Microchip Question

you can register with home again and not pay the yearly fee. That fee is for help when the dog is lost- they have a list of benefits, but do not remove the dog from their registry.
AKC CAR is Companion Animal Recovery. I don't think there is a charge- it is a free registry, so it's good to use also. Most shelters have scanners these days- check with your local shelter, you can always donate one and get a tax dedeuction if they don't have one. Knowing that is their first tool when a lost animal comes in is nice.

Re: Re: Home Again Microchip Question

sorry.... "deduction"

AKC-CAR charges a one-time $12 fee for registering a microchip with their service. If you change owners, etc. it is another $12 to change the registration. You can register the microchip when you register the pup right on the same form. Visit the website for more information.

You can register any microchip with any/all of the registries if you want. That is what I chose to do with mine. My dogs/cats all have their numbers registered with AVID, HomeAgain, and AKC's CAR program just because I wanted to be absolutely sure that anyone who called ANY of those companies 1st (shelters, vets, etc.) would be able to track down the owner on file of those microchip numbers should one of my dogs/cats end up in a situation where they are trying to find the owner (me). Granted, I don't have a lot to register.

At work (a veterinary hospital), we also try to make sure puppy owners, etc. remember to update their information on file when they move, change phone numbers, etc. as well. All too often, we try to track down an owner of a microchipped pet that has been found and hit a dead-end because there is no current information and no lead on where someone ended up. Same with shelter adoptees. Most of the microchips implanted in shelter animals are registered to that shelter rather than to the new adoptive owners. You can cut a lot of corners by making sure the registered owner is the person who actually has the animal and that his/her information is up-to-date.

With CAR, you can register 6 at a time for $9 instead of the $12.

I keep my name on all puppies. All puppies go out chipped. I'm considering getting the AKC CAR chips, since if they are bought and registered in my name, then even if the owners don't register them, they would still contact me, the breeder. I'm pretty sure that's what AVID has done also.

I am only registering with CAR, even with my current home again chips. I think that they are probably registering the most dogs and have the best chance of staying in business.

Re: Re: Re: Home Again Microchip Question

WOW, do you guys not have libel laws in your country?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Home Again Microchip Question

for what?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

For suggesting that only one company may survive. This casts doubt on the viability of the other organisations

Replying to:

for what?

Replying to:

You could be liable in your country for saying that?

What country are you in again?

So what would happen, if you said something like that in your country?? wow.

Replying to:

For suggesting that only one company may survive. This casts doubt on the viability of the other organisations

Replying to:

for what?

Replying to:

I use Home Again brand chips but I throw out the Home Again registration paperwork. Then, from the internet, I print out and register all of my puppies with AKC CAR. I keep my name listed as the emergency contact.