Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bandit - sad news

BIS GMHR Am/Mex/Intl(FCI) CH Cook's Midnight Bandit MH TT
(BISS Am/Mex/Intl (FCI) Ch JanWood's Secret Agent CD, WC x CH Alvgarden's Mischief Maker at JanRod JH, WC)
(5/29/93 - 12/08)

It is with great sadness that I announce that Jim Cook had to let Bandit go to the bridge just before Christmas. He was 15 yrs and 7 mos old, and had been doing quite well up until the last days when he began to fail.

He was such a special dog and one that will not be forgotten by those who knew him. Bandit was the first GMHR/CH/MH in the history of our breed. He was also totally amateur handled and trained. I did all of the conformation showing and Jim did all of the field training and running. Bandit was Jim's first dog and his heart dog. He had been a professional bass fisherman, until Bandit showed him the way. Plus Davern saw Bandit in one of her training classes and gave me a call. The rest is history.

Bandit had won WD and RWD at specialties and had JAMed at many specialties including the Potomac and LRC Inc. He also had multiple Groups 1s and even an All Breed Best In Show. In the field, he got his AKC & NAHRA titles in 1998. He got his JH with 4 passes out of 5 tries. His SH was a little harder - 4 passes out of 6. But then he redeemed himself by getting his MH in 5 passes out of 6 tries. In 1998 he also qualified for the NAHRA Master National and passed it. He gained his Grand Master title by passing 15 times out of 16 tries in one year!

As you can no doubt tell, Bandit gave his all to whatever he was doing. One of my favorite memories was his first Group 1. We were in the middle of the group and had just gone around the ring for the last time. Bandit stopped perfectly and stood like a statue - head up and slightly cocked. The sun was gleaming off his coat, his eyes were on my face and his tail was softly wagging. The other handlers were trying to get their dogs into the shade, but he looked so good, I did not want to move him. The judged was walking down the row and stopped dead in her tracks staring at Bandit. Then said "I want the Lab" and pointed to the Group 1 sign!

I think I screamed and I know my heart stopped. Bandit jumped into the air and almost knocked me down with his kisses, but we both managed to get to that Group 1 sign. I also know that Jim and MaryAnn were yelling and jumping up and down. We did not win Best In Show that day, but the judge did pat him on the head and say next time it's yours.

So many stories and so much love. He will be missed. RIP Bandit.

Janis Grannemann
JanRod Labs

Re: Bandit - sad news

I am so sorry Jan. My condolences also to Jim and MaryAnn, and all those that loved him. It sounded like he was a very special boy, I wish that I had gotten the chance to meet him.

Run Free Bandit

Shelley

I remember showing Bandit once as a youngster at GGLRC. For those that remember it was the year we were up to our knees in mud. He showed his heart out at that show. I do not remember the placement for sure but I think he went third. He was a great dog to travel with and always a gentleman. Godspeed Bandit. We will forever miss you. my condolences to Jim and MaryAnn.

Debbie

Oh Jan, I so remember Bandit! In fact, I recently found an old LRCSC Specialty catalogue, from September 1995, and the winner of the open black dog class was---Cook's Midnight Bandit, JH! He was quite the dog to beat when I was showing my first show dogs.
The fact that he lived to be over 15 years old is a testament to both you his breeder and his owners. He accomplished quite a few titles in his time and lived a well-rounded and long, satisfying and happy life. It's hard to get those show CH. and multiple field titles, not too many dogs these days could touch that!
Rest easy in heaven, old man, you deserve it!
May your wonderful memories of Bandit comfort you and the Cooks.

Rest in peace Bandit.

I'm so sorry. What a great individual......Godspeed Bandit.

Rest well Bandit. My deepest sympathies to Jim and everyone who loved Bandit.

Re: Re: Bandit - sad news

Sorry to hear this, rest well Bandit. He was a special boy and my sympathies to his family and all who loved him.

So sorry to hear of his passing. I had the honor of meeting him at the LRC nationals several years ago...a beautiful animal, to be sure.

Rest in peace sweet boy.

Re: Re: Bandit - sad news

Rest well dear Bandit, you were truly an amazing dog and your accomplishments astounding!!
My sympathies to Jim and Janice.

Jan, I am so sorry to hear of Bandit's passing. I lived in CA at the time when Bandit was being shown toward his Championship. I thought that he was an incredible dog and I convinced Nancy Brandow to use him as a stud dog. That litter produced an amazing 4 Champions!! I have one sitting beside me right now. Ch. Cedarwood Cinkelt Now N Zen WC is now 10 1/2 years old and is still going stronger than ever. Zen's daughter Wilmark's Little Bit of Luck is now 5 and is about to have her first litter. Bandit's legacy will live on in his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Nancy and I send our deepest condolences to Jan, Jim, and MaryAnn. Thank you for sharing this wonderful dog with us.

Janis, please accept my condolences over the passing of Bandit - he was a great dog and a wonderful ambassador for our breed.

Janis,
Your tribute to Bandit was just beautiful.
Thank you for sharing a little about this incredible boy, to those who didnt know him.
RIP Bandit.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

BIS GMHR Am/Mex/Intl(FCI) CH Cook's Midnight Bandit MH TT
(BISS Am/Mex/Intl (FCI) Ch JanWood's Secret Agent CD, WC x CH Alvgarden's Mischief Maker at JanRod JH, WC)
(5/29/93 - 12/0

It is with great sadness that I announce that Jim Cook had to let Bandit go to the bridge just before Christmas. He was 15 yrs and 7 mos old, and had been doing quite well up until the last days when he began to fail.

He was such a special dog and one that will not be forgotten by those who knew him. Bandit was the first GMHR/CH/MH in the history of our breed. He was also totally amateur handled and trained. I did all of the conformation showing and Jim did all of the field training and running. Bandit was Jim's first dog and his heart dog. He had been a professional bass fisherman, until Bandit showed him the way. Plus Davern saw Bandit in one of her training classes and gave me a call. The rest is history.

Bandit had won WD and RWD at specialties and had JAMed at many specialties including the Potomac and LRC Inc. He also had multiple Groups 1s and even an All Breed Best In Show. In the field, he got his AKC & NAHRA titles in 1998. He got his JH with 4 passes out of 5 tries. His SH was a little harder - 4 passes out of 6. But then he redeemed himself by getting his MH in 5 passes out of 6 tries. In 1998 he also qualified for the NAHRA Master National and passed it. He gained his Grand Master title by passing 15 times out of 16 tries in one year!

As you can no doubt tell, Bandit gave his all to whatever he was doing. One of my favorite memories was his first Group 1. We were in the middle of the group and had just gone around the ring for the last time. Bandit stopped perfectly and stood like a statue - head up and slightly cocked. The sun was gleaming off his coat, his eyes were on my face and his tail was softly wagging. The other handlers were trying to get their dogs into the shade, but he looked so good, I did not want to move him. The judged was walking down the row and stopped dead in her tracks staring at Bandit. Then said "I want the Lab" and pointed to the Group 1 sign!

I think I screamed and I know my heart stopped. Bandit jumped into the air and almost knocked me down with his kisses, but we both managed to get to that Group 1 sign. I also know that Jim and MaryAnn were yelling and jumping up and down. We did not win Best In Show that day, but the judge did pat him on the head and say next time it's yours.

So many stories and so much love. He will be missed. RIP Bandit.

Janis Grannemann
JanRod Labs

So sorry for your loss. Beautiful tribute to Bandit.

Thinking of you,

Michelle