Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Calorie Count for ProPlan C&R Shredded

People are saying their dogs are losing weight on the new Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Shredded Blend. Can someone please give me the calorie count for this product. I have been unable to find it on Purina's website. Maybe someone is using it and can get it from the bag?

I have only been able to find the calorie count on the original C & R and would like to compare it.

Thanks,
Laura D

Re: Need Calorie Count for ProPlan C&R Shredded

Laura, I don't remember offhand (I am not feeding it) but I remember someone posting it and it was quite a bit lower than the original formula, so does not surprise me that dogs would lose weight if they are still being fed the same amount as the original.

Re: Re: Need Calorie Count for ProPlan C&R Shredded

The ORIGINAL formula for chicken and rice will be back in stores by the end of January.

I am working on my last bag right now--mixing with performance to get them through until the original is available again.

MK

I called Purina to get the calorie counts.
Original C&R 489 kcals per cup
Shredded C&R 375 kcals per cup

Big difference. No wonder they are losing weight.

I have all my guys on Performance and am really liking it. I may just keep them on it and not go back when the Original comes back on the shelves.

Have you ever had any exp. with the PP Sensitive skin formula. Was on the PP L&R but hate the new formulas.

Thank you

I've talked to a number of petfood store managers (both feed store and petco/petsmart/pet supplies plus) and nobody's aware of the regular chicken and rice coming back...I'm guessing I'd have to special order it if I wanted it.

Purina has only notified really big customers like petco, etc. and the person you talk to in the isle may be clueless anyway.

My feed guy says he is too small in Purina's eyes to get any direct correspondence. He combines his orders with another store so they can get volume discouts.

I showed him the email I got from Purina, so he knows that it is coming back at the end of the month.

MK

I'm a little surprised that the orig. was so high in calories. I have not used it in a while, switching to a food that is 440 calories (which I thought was higher than most of the moderate brands). I also use the PP Salmon Select which is 430 cal.

I use to get 3 backs of original CR and they would fit in my metal garbage can. I fed approx 3-4 cups per adult dog a day and every one looked great.

Since I have been using the shredded crap....I can only get 2 bags in the can ( proving it is full of fillers) and I have had to go up to 4-6 cups per day.
My yard looks like elephants have been pooping in it and my coats are loosing their shine.

I called last week to see if I could get an exact date but just told somewhere near the end of Jan.
Oh of course they want to send me coupons for the food I have complaints about.

If it does not come out soon I will be looking somewhere else for food.

I just looked at the shredded this weekend and the "original" looking triangles are air puffed. I still can get the original C&R here at my local store. That probably explains why you only get 2 bags in instead of 3. The gal I was traveling with complained to Purina Rep at show because her dogs were losing weight and she said to just add performance to the food to help make up the calorie difference.
i have switched all of my guys over to Sensitive since I don't trust that the return of the old will be exactly as it was before. JMO

Debbie

Re: Re: Re: Need Calorie Count for ProPlan C&R Shredded

I ended up switching to the Sensitive Skin And Stomach in November. My dogs have never looked better. I will be keeping them on it.

Same thing here I have a vittle vault that holds 50# I think and I can barely squeeze 1 of the new bags of PP C & R Shreds in there. The shredded pieces look like foam chicken ... the dogs almost choke on it when they eat it, its just terrible. I have also had to feed double the amount :(

Re: Re: Re: Need Calorie Count for ProPlan C&R Shredded

Love, love, love, PP SS&S!!! I get the best coats and smallest stools on this and ALL the dogs do very well on it.

My dogs did horrible on SS&S. The lost a lot of weight and the coats looked dull. Then the price went way up...I know they all did but it seemed to be even more proportionally.

My dogs did terrible on the PP Salmon as well, dull coats, lost weight. I am done with Proplan, used to be a good food for the price, but with the amount they jacked up their prices and their changes for the worst, for the same money there are much better foods out there.

Hmm... feed more to maintain, so you buy more because you are feeding more. I wonder if the geniuses at Pro-Plan that thought this formula/marketing ploy up still have a job?

Mine are doing well with Puppy/Performance/SS&S. BTW the one with the SS&S has the nicest coat right now.

I've been wondering the same thing; how many have taken the "fall". Purina must be taking a huge hit with this idiocy.