Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is it appropriate to post

show news and results (show location, class placements, photos, etc) on your website about a dog you bought if you are not the one who bred the dog, or paid to show the dog, and didn't even own the dog when it was being shown?
Especially if you yourself, don't show at all, you just buy dogs from other breeders, and make puppies?
Please no trouble, just an honest question.

Re: Is it appropriate to post

Sure - why not?!? If you buy a dog based on it's accomplishments, there's nothing wrong with listing those accomplishments. It's about the dog, not the owner of the moment!

Re: Re: Is it appropriate to post

Yep, agree with the poster, it's your dog now, so post past and present wins, shows, whatever

I guess, but what if no credit was given to the actual owners at the time? The ones who spent all the money and their time to show this dog?
It's like you are trying to convince the world YOU show, when thats not the case at all???
By buying a couple of dogs who went to a couple of dog shows and placed in a couple of classes here and there?
No mention that you did not even own the dog for all this showing??
How would anyone know? So now you look like a "show breeder", you just skipped all the hard work!?

Re: Re: Re: Is it appropriate to post

Wow, maybe I should try this method??
Seems like an easy way "in"!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it appropriate to post

I am sure you paid a premium for a dog that was shown already, so in my book, you bought those accomplishments as well.

Geez - apparently you have a problem with some breeder in particular. Chill out. Those of us who do show know the scoop and aren't impressed if the buyer doesn't show at all. Now puppy buyers can be fooled I supposed, but there are a lot of websites out there that do a lot of bragging about nothing (like UCI international titles). All we can do is educate our buyers, but you can't do anything about fakers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it appropriate to post

I agree, especially shows that the kennel or person that bought the dog, is trying to make themselves a better kennel? What's wrong with that?? If they are shortcuts or doing it the hard way, everyone deserves a fair shake in this game Bravo to them for upgrading

Who cares as long as they are selling good, sound puppies If they are in fact selling puppies.
Chill, we all started somewere

"but there are a lot of websites out there that do a lot of bragging about nothing (like UCI international titles)."

If someone is proud of an accomplishment about their dog, what is the problem if they want to note that on their site??? Even if it doesnt seem like a big deal to you, its a big deal to them.

Take a kids first steps for example.... if your first kid just started walking, and you post his or her pictures all over your family site of that day that you were so proud of.... Some people that have had 5 kids, might look at it and be like - so what?

Im Sorry - that just hit a nerve when you stated that some accomplishments shouldnt be mentioned.

The fact of the matter is that you can get a UCI title (International champion, etc..) on just about anything with 4 legs. Like the time I saw someone brag that they finished their title in "ONLY" 6 shows! HELLO - that means 3 judges thought your dog wasn't worthy of a title. It's non-competitive and simply says your dog looks something like a Labrador. The only time I did it some years ago I got the International Champion title on my bitch in 3 shows, the minimum and while it was fun, it's basically meaningless. The people that brag on their websites that their dogs are UCI International Champions are NOT the same quality as an AKC champion that is a competitive title (you have to BEAT dogs to win one).

But buyer beware - like PT Barnum said...

Its obvious the OP has a personal issue with another person over some dogs, not sure it will be resolved by posting it here. Why would anyone be bothered by listing the accomplishments of ANY dog?!

Thank You If someone is proud of anything they do with their dogs or what they have, it is their business and they should be proud That is why we are in this breed, to love the breed, in all shapes and forms and accomplishments Maybe you should concentrate on your own accomplishments and not worry about what the other guy is doing

Post away all your accomplishments!!!!! I will post any and all accomplishments that my dogs have done, be it AKC, UKC, UCI and any other event and competition. Who really cares and what damage does it do to anyone else?
Instead of sour grapes, go out and do something special with your dogs and then let us all know about here at the ever present and always friendly forum.

For those of us who are not interested in chasing an AKC CH title, the Lab club conformation certificate or the UCI title allows us to show that our dogs meet the breed standard for conformation.

My interests are mainly in the field, but I do want my dogs to meet the breed standard and be recognized as Labs. So, yes, I list their CC and UCI accomplishments along with their HT titles and their obedience titles.

MK

No, I have never bought a dog that was already shown.
I have had to do things the hard way

Besides, that is not what I was asking.
I was asking if a non show person, in otherwords, just breeds, should be posting show results on dogs they purchased and never showed??? As if to make themselves look like they DO show.

Yes, that was my point, they are fakers, people that mislead a website looker to believe they have done ANYTHING with their dogs at all.

My point was we tell these pet buyers to "look for a show breeder" "they will most likely have something the resembles what you are looking for in looks and soundness because they care about the breed" "they exhibit their dogs and are involved in the sport" “they will be knowledgeable about what the breed should be”

Well now these BYBs are somehow fooling someone, somewhere into selling them a dog they didn’t want and they are stealing any accomplishments that breeder had, making it seem as if THEY did the showing, and the pet buyers are none the wiser!!! Credit is not given where credit is. Like “when so and so Joe Breeder owned Fido, she accomplished this, that and the other things, then we purchased him or her so we could brag about it, breed puppies and make money, we don’t show our dogs”

I’m sorry, this kind of thing is an outrage.
I spend my hard earned money to show my dogs and it’s crummy that these fakers can take the back door into the house and promote themselves as if they DID anything with the dogs off of someone ELSE’S hard work!

And yes, one particular “breeder” website did spark this posting, but I’ve seen it before, on many BYB sites.

And my point was that you really can't do anything about it, so don't get your panties in a wad. We all at one point have been outraged by other peoples' false claims, but frankly, all you can do is not refer people to them and go on your own way, doing things the way they should be done.

Yes, it's not "right", but at this point we still live in a free country, so don't complain or Big Brother will tell you everything you can and can't do - would that make you happier? I doubt it.

You are right, I know.
Maybe the problem stems from the breeders who don't screen properly, or enough.
But also it seems that the "breeders" that do these things lie about their intentions when they buy a dog too.
They say they want to show it, but never do.
They use the accomplishments they bought to "prove themselves" and more people sell to them. It's a vicious circle.
I know we can't control what others do, and it does show their true "ethics".
It's still a bummer for those who put their blood, sweat and tears into doing things the right way. Those who work for YEARS and dedicate their lives to these dogs and this breed.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it appropriate to post

If it is on their website, then they can post anything they want, as long as it is the truth

Who are you to say what titles people can and can not put on their dogs? We are suppose to have fun with our dogs and if they are shown in various clubs or out of the country who are you to say! This sounds like a bitter person that has a bone to pick with someone and is finger pointing to stir the pot. There are many imports that come into our country that have been shown and titled in other countries, so what?! The breeders that use these dogs could give a flip who or what titled them. Those of us with experience are looking at the dog not the titles anyway! Why not find something productive to do and get out of this bitter funk your in and keep your pot stirring off the list!

I certainly hope you are not speaking to me???
I never said a thing about titles and really this thread had nothing to do with titles at all.

"I know we can't control what others do, and it does show their true "ethics".
It's still a bummer for those who put their blood, sweat and tears into doing things the right way. Those who work for YEARS and dedicate their lives to these dogs and this breed."

I totally agree with this...........way to many ppl sell / place their "washouts" with others to be used for BREEDING.........
If they ain't good enough for you....then neuter and place them? ohhhhhhhh nooooo it's more $$$ to sell to an operation to make puppies.......

As far as buyer beware........look for pictures of the current owners with the dogs "doing something"......these "coat tail riders" irritate me :-(........
An example....
I bought a young adult yrs ago...he'd been successfully shown.....I paid to show him more.........gave him on a co-own to a $$$ hungry NEWBIE....he washed out.......and I placed him as a pet..........that NEWBIE has a dozen show pics of him SPREAD over her website...he is one of her "past stars" LIKE WHAT H.......where was she when the work was done........it is sad and depressing sometimes.......but most ppl know the real story, if they care too..

life is way to short? to dwell on this major POOP for to long..

as far as "easy" Titles...at least ppl are working and doing something with their dogs and that's always a positive thing...IMHO

Still Smilin you did co-own the dog you are speaking of with the person who posted the dog's accomplishments on her site, so not sure why that bothers you so much?
It was a co-own, as you say, so the other co-owner has every right to be proud and brag of the dog you both co-owned, regardless which one of you showed him, you both co-owned him. I am sure the other co-owner did things with the dog and it sounds like the dog lived with her, so she does deserve credit.
I sense some sour grapes and much negativity, which doesn't answer the OP. The great thing about bad experiences is you can learn from them and not repeat them. Venting here vs. answering the OP??

>>>>>>>>The fact of the matter is that you can get a UCI title (International champion, etc..) on just about anything with 4 legs. >>>>>>>>

Not any different than breeders who have never stepped foot into a breed ring and hires handlers to finish their dogs. You can bet, if some of these dogs were not handled by professionals, they would not receive their CH. I give anyone credit who will show their own dog, AKC or others. AKC judges do the judging at International shows and no handlers are allowed. AKC should do the same. A dog who finishes solely by handlers isn't one I would even take a second look at.

You won't look twice at dogs finished solely by handlers? Guess you wouldn't look at, I don't know, for instance:

Ch. Borador's By George
Ch. Aquarius Centercourt Delight
Ch. Paradocs Delians Scrubbing In
Ch. Gingerbred Celestial Thunder

Ad nauseum... There are many dogs for one reason or another gets shown/finished by handlers. You are very short-sighted indeed to totally discount all of them. Now, that's not to say there are inferior dogs handled and finished by pros - there are tons. But to throw them all out is just plain stupid.

..You won't look twice at dogs finished solely by handlers? Guess you wouldn't look at, I don't know, for instance:

Ch. Borador's By George
Ch. Aquarius Centercourt Delight
Ch. Paradocs Delians Scrubbing In
Ch. Gingerbred Celestial Thunder..............

You mentioned dogs that owners could have finished by themselves, they did not need handlers. There are many that have the CH because the owners know they most likely can not get points. You've also mentioned dogs that I'm sure the owners have been in the ring at some point with others dogs. Then there are the folks that choose to never step in the ring, but instead buy the CH's. Big difference.