Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Questions, questions

Couple of questions for ya' . 1st ) At what age would you start the DNA testing of your keepers ? Holding back 2 pups and would like to do PRA/RD and Coat color. Would like to know as soon as I can (about the PRA/RD). I was thinking 3 or 4 months of age would be OK . Is that to young ?

2) Microchipping of the litter. 7 weeks an OK age ? and Eye's. I was told, but I can't remember if they say 1st exam at 7 weeks or was it 8 weeks ? What about exposure to other dogs ? Makes me worry about Parvo :eek: .

TIA

Re: Questions, questions

Microchipping at 7 weeks is fine - eye exams at the same age. Just take the puppies in to the vet's in a crate and don't let them walk in - I strap a crate to a crate dolly and just roll them all in.

As far as DNA testing, I usually wait to do the expensive stuff until after they have passed joint clearances, unless you plan on washing out anything that isn't Optigen Clear. For me, the hips/elbows are either go or no-go if they don't pass. The Optigen simply helps with breeding decisions, not whether to keep or place the dog.

Re: Re: Questions, questions

I do the same. No sense throwing good money after bad on DNA testing if you don't at least have a good prelim.

Re: Re: Re: Questions, questions

Thanks ! Would it be best to take two kennels, one to put the puppies who have received their exam and one with the puppies "waiting" ? Sorry, this is a first for me. I was told once but lost all that little bit of info.

I guess I'll do the DNA clearances after pelims come back then..

Thanks again !!!!

Re: Questions, questions

If they all fit in one crate roll them in one. You can have collars on the pups so you know which ones have already been checked by the vet.