Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elbows?

Is it normal for pups at 12 weeks for the elbows to sort of turn out as they trot to me? Not paddle but sort of roll outwards?

Re: Elbows?

It's hard to understand what you are describing. Puppies can be loose.

We have placed puppies that were "out in the elbows". I would guess that maybe there is a looseness there. What protein levels does your food have that the pup is on?

http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/

"Front
Legs--When viewed from the front, the legs should be straight with good strong bone. Too much bone is
as undesirable as too little bone, and short legged, heavy boned individuals are not typical of the breed.
Viewed from the side, the elbows should be directly under the withers, and the front legs should be
perpendicular to the ground and well under the body. The elbows should be close to the ribs without
looseness. Tied-in elbows or being "out at the elbows" interfere with free movement and are serious
faults. "

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Is it normal for pups at 12 weeks for the elbows to sort of turn out as they trot to me? Not paddle but sort of roll outwards?

It's not unheard of to have this happen in a young puppy. Many times it will drop into the proper position as the pup matures. I wouldn't place a puppy for that reason alone.

Re: Re: Elbows?

Isn't that young to make any judgement calls. They do go through so much the first 6 months to a year.

Re: Re: Re: Elbows?

Last time I saw this on a pup someone else kept from a litter, I said "eek I don't like that!"
Pup ended up lame with confirmed ED at 6 months of age.
Just my experience, so no, I would not keep a pup who turn out at the elbows.
Elbos should be nice a and tight, held close to the body, puppy or adult. If not, there is a problem.

Yes I agree, this could just be looseness due to age.
However, it could also be a result of a short upper arm, which isn't going to change much in proportion to the rest of the front assembly as the pup grows.
If unsure, I'd wait and see
JMHO

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to: