Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cutting tendons

Why do people cut the tendons in their Labrador's tails? Is it only done on the show dogs? I have heard of some people doing this and I just don't understand the purpose.

Re: cutting tendons

I've never heard of this so will watch this thread and learn along the way.

The most frequent place I have seen it done is in terriers. I think a while back (YEARS ago) a judge was suspended of doing it on show grounds too... They cut the tendon so that the dog doesn't have a gay tail. I am sure it has been done in Labradors if it is out there in the rest of the show dog world.

Re: Re: cutting tendons

Have heard or know of, no Labradors. Let keep it that way.

I know someone who had told me it happens a lot in our breed.

how and for what ?

Re: Re: Re: cutting tendons

Breed standard from AKC says:

"The tail should follow the topline in repose or when in motion. It may be carried gaily, but should not curl over the back.

Docking or otherwise altering the length or natural carriage of the tail is a disqualification."

There are only 5 disqualifying factors for Labradors, and this is one of them.

Unfortunately there are a few (a very few) out there who will alter the tail of an otherwise great dog to avoid disqualification in the ring.

Re: Re: Re: Re: cutting tendons

Yes it is does happen in this breed. A lot from what I am told.
I had a dog who people (handlers) said I should do this to.
Instead of that, I placed him in a pet home.
Why would I want to alter this just so I could finish him?
He will still produce it in his offspring! Duh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cutting tendons

"Why would I want to alter this just so I could finish him?
He will still produce it in his offspring! Duh"

Thank you. Exactly!

"Breed standard from AKC says:

"The tail should follow the topline in repose or when in motion. It may be carried gaily, but should not curl over the back.

Docking or otherwise altering the length or natural carriage of the tail is a disqualification."

There are only 5 disqualifying factors for Labradors, and this is one of them.

Unfortunately there are a few (a very few) out there who will alter the tail of an otherwise great dog to avoid disqualification in the ring."

Huh??? It's not the "gay tail" that disqualifies the dog, it's the altering of the natural carriage of the tail. Your comment makes no sense as discovery of altering will DQ the dog, not a gay tail.

Yes, you are right. I did not word that well. The gay tail is very undesirable but is not actually a disqualifying factor.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, and there are many other "very undesirable" things we see all the time too. There are many traits I find more undeserible than high tail carriage!

Breeder *Yes it is does happen in this breed. A lot from what I am told.
I had a dog who people (handlers) said I should do this to.
Instead of that, I placed him in a pet home.
Why would I want to alter this just so I could finish him?
He will still produce it in his offspring! Duh*

I agree with you. It is shameful that not everyone is as honest as you are.

Will a vet cut tendons knowing it's not legal to show in AKC shows after it is done ? Is it the same for CKC to? Does someone else do it that is not allowed to practice medicine on dogs. Do they use anaesthesia so the dog doesn't suffer while it is being done. This is not ethical or fare to the dog. They must be in pain after also.

"Will a vet cut tendons knowing it's not legal to show in AKC shows after it is done..."

You bet. My own vet who is a show breeder and judge, is called "Dr. Frankenstein." He does tails, ears, eyes, etc. Does that make him a bad vet? No...he is a great vet (and a very competent surgeon). He understands the pressures that show breeders have. It is up to the individual to determine how far he/she will go to get a win or to have a stud dog who is used.

After thinking that maybe my own lovely male's high tail carriage might change after he relaxed in the ring (it didn't), I faced reality and neutered the dog. I wish someone could tell me why we all hate the gay tail so much, especially if it doesn't go over the back, but until we breeders do not feel it is undesirable, I , for one, don't want to reproduce it.

This is really an important topic and I am happy for the honesty that is coming forward. Really, what does a high tail carriage mean? Is it simply an anatomic difference? My own boy was very confident and there wasn't a mean bone in his body. He never growled at another male but just got really jazzed up when there were bitches around. Some judges overlooked the tail because he was a wonderfully, put together dog and a gorgeous mover. Oh well...

I was told it could be done by a handler, right there at a dog show. No vet, no anesthetic.
I have to say, the thought was repulsive to me.
I would never, ever put my dog through that in name of dog showing.
I like to win, but not THAT much...

Was the same reasons with my boy, he got jazzed up about the girls, and the shows, Didn't stop him from winning, quite a bit, but the tail hurt my eye balls....

I think these breeders who are cutting the tails are going to get what's coming to them when everyone who uses the dog starts complaining about the terrible tails he throws!

I wish someone could tell me why we all hate the gay tail so much.

I bred a dog in 1980 who had a gay tail, it idn't curl of=ver his back, but it stuck straight up in the air. I discovered that bacause of his high tail carriage, it was ineffectual as a rudder. I nearly drowned the poor bugger when I was excercising him in a pool. He couldn't turn the corner and he rolled onto his back then sank. Good job I had a lead on him and was able to haul him out. lol

I do think tails have become a problem, I'd rather look at a gay carriage (many dogs will drop them whne moving) than look at all the curled tails that are out there.

I have found that one usually goes hand in hand with the other.

And just as incorrect are the sloping croups that some mistaken as correct tailset.

There must have been something else he was lacking because I've seen many swim just fine that hold tails high.

There must have been something else he was lacking because I've seen many swim just fine that hold tails high.

Well I don't know what else he was lacking except maybe a brain. He lived along & happy life just being a Lab. He learned agility, was always very good at pulling the laundry off the line and used to race out the door each morning & somersault off the 6 ft high wall into the garden (rather than use the steps) to have fun being a boy.

Altering a natural tail carriage has been done many, many times on show Labs for quite sometime. It's nothing new nor is the fact that we are seeing "gay" tails in the ring any more frequently than we have in the past.

I finished (owner/handled) a lovely boy with a gay tail. He finished under a breeder/judge. You look at the whole dog! He was an excellent swimmer as he had the proper tail SET that would allow him to move his tail and use it like a rudder whenever and however he saw fit. His tail carriage was much more noticeable as a younger dog mainly because he'd get really excited (testosterone), but as he aged, he did tend to carry it a bit lower.

Out of the hundred or so of the pups he produced, only a few had gay tails. Not one of the pups I kept down from him throughout the years ever developed a gay tail. However, he also produced lovely, sound puppies too-which to me a gay tail is some what of a cosmetic flaw vs a soundness flaw.

And for those of you who are saying a gay tail is a very serious fault, what part of the standard that states "may be carried gaily" do you not understand???

Exactly! If the tail is set correctly, I think a lot of times it has to do with attitude!

I'm thinking about the testosterone comment. Is it just me or isn't it more typically males that have what I call "proud tail"?

I have seen it mainly in young males which would suggest that it may be a bit of "tude" coming out. And yes, I have seen a lot young males start with the "tude" only to mellow out with age and experience and lose their gayness.

It is also interesting to note in my experience that a lot of these boys carry their tails higher just on the move vs when they are freestacked and wagging their tails, the tail is close to level with the back. I have also seen them stop and look at another dog and UP goes the tail. Gotta love young boys! LOL

If one considers that all boys are hormonal then why do some still carry their tails a little too gaily or curled? I've also seen many a girl do the same. Is there a way to tell if a tail has been doctored?