Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
labs with diabetes

Has anyone had a lab diagnosed with diabetes? Have been to the vet and am scheduled for vist to learn about insulin injections but would love to hear from other lab owners.

Re: labs with diabetes

I have a bitch that was diagnosed at age 5 - gestational diabetes that did not go away after the litter was born. She was put on 26 units of Humulin N twice a day and given 2 years. Well... she is now almost 12 and is still on the Humulin N, up to 34 units. The price of the insulin varies every time we buy it, from $38 to $44 and a vial lasts us a month. We do not have to do any of the daily blood stuff that a lot of people go through because she's obviously regulated without intervention. Good luck with this. If any questions feel free to email me privately.

My heart dog was diagnosed with Diabetes at 6 years old. She was put on Humulin N which is a human pork insulin. She lived another 5 years however in that time frame she developed severe cataracs directly from the Diabetes. My ACVO vet was able to remove them giving her another year 1/2 of eye sight. Giving injections is easy and once you get the swing of it you will easily be able to maintain/regulate your dogs sugar level. Any questions please e mail. Good Luck

RIP Sora

Re: Re: labs with diabetes

I too have had a dog with diabetes. Diagnosed at 7yrs of age. She lived to be 16yrs old. She did eventually go blind at 11yrs of age, but my old girl had a great life even during her sightless years. Loved my dog and thank her for the numerous "high in trials" and experience of having owned her.

Diabetes is very manageable. I think the first month or so when you are getting to just the right dose,and diet and setting up a new routine are hard, but after that no big deal. Get a meter, they are very cheap at walgreens etc learn to use it most of us are not as lucky as Greg and do need to keep track of BG on a daily basis. As long as you are consistant with the meter you don't have to get anything fancy. Take a long hard look at diet you may find you need to make some changes to a higher protein lower carb diet to get things regulated.

And welcome to the vampire club!