Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Turbutrol reaction?

8 years ago one of my girls was given Turbutrol(Turbugesic, Butorphanol)and was unable to walk and or move until it worked its way out of her system some 24 hours later. Last night her sister received a shot of the stuff and has been having similar symptoms. She can walk but lost control of her bowels shortly after coming home and the nerve response in her hind legs is impacted (can't right her hind feet, etc) She is better this morning and I am in contact with the vet but am still quite concered. I am also curious as to a familial connection connected with the side effects. Neither of these dogs can handle ACE and neither could their great grandmother (Mom and grandmom were never given it). Any thoughts?
Thanks

Re: Turbutrol reaction?

Yes, I can tell you my girl recently had her OFAs done and she was given the Torbutrol(Torbugesic) along with another sedative. I called at noon to see how she was doing and the tech. was kinda evasive...said she was coming out of it slowly. When I picked her up later that day(6:00p.m.) she came out awfully wobbly; her right side looked like a walrus and my eyes must have popped out. The tech. said not to worry; they had given her sub qs. I've never had any of my dogs receive sub qs after OFAs. I was really concerned about her on they way home. She was drooling excessively and the seat and floor were soaked in my van(it's leather, so it was very obvious). I lifted her up to take her out and realized how cold her entire body and her face were. This scared me and I called the vet back to ask why she was having such a reaction. The tech left the phone again, came back to tell me that it was normal for some dogs to react with more nausea than others and to not give her food or water until the next morning. My dog was not "right" for at least 2 more days. I couldn't believe how cold her feet, mouth and gums were. The sub qs didn't dissapate for 2-3 days...just laid there on her side. I won't allow any of my dogs to have Torbugesic again. I know some vets prescribe it for kennel cough too.

Re: Turbutrol reaction? UpDate

My sweet Giana (Godiva's I Ain't No Angel) was given a Turutrol injection at 8:30 last night. Today at noon we lost her. My dear, sweet angel - thanks for the almost 14 1/2 years. We miss you!!

Doris, Mouse, & Charlie

Re: Re: Turbutrol reaction? UpDate

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

Re: Re: Re: Turbutrol reaction? UpDate

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet girl! Godspeed, Giana. My sincere sympathy to you!

Re: Re: Turbutrol reaction? UpDate

OMG, I am so sorry to hear this!!!

Re: Re: Re: Turbutrol reaction? UpDate

I am so terribly sorry for your loss.
Godspeed sweet girl!

Re: Turbutrol reaction?

You have to question why Torbutrol - a strong narcotic pain reliever would need to be given for OFA x-rays. I think I'd look for another vet. I have had a few dogs that have been given Torb for various surgeries. After seeing them stumbling, disoriented and totally unlike themselves; I pass on Torbutrol when offered now.

Re: Re: Turbutrol reaction?

When JME was given it (8 years ago) it was not my normal vet (who is great) but by a vet that claimed she did not sedate for OFA's. I even made a note of NO sedation on my paperwork. Imagine my surprise when JMe was brought out and couldn't even raise her head. I filed a claim with the CA Vet Assoc but was told that the vet had done nothing wrong and was within her rights to override my wishes to not sedate. I do know that I would never knowingly allow this to be given again especially for something so simple as an OFA.

Re: Re: Re: Turbutrol reaction?

I totally agree with that. I have to wonder why the need for the Torbutrol? Is there also a risk using the pill form during kennel cough if the dog has had prior reactions such as mine did for the OFAs? I will not take the chance with any of my dogs regardless of the possibility. Any vets out there care to comment on Torbutrol's side effects and contraindications?