Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud service to rwo bitches at once

What is the best way to service two bitches on the same day with shipped semen? Is it best to collect once and split the collection, or collect in the morning and afternoon of the same day? What do the owners of the popular stud dogs do?

Re: Stud service to rwo bitches at once

Decline the second bitch so that both bitches have a better chance of conceiving. If you do decide to split, please tell both bitch owners about that so they can decide if they want to do that or use a backup.

I was a bitch owner that got a split batch twice. After the second miss I was quite miffed to learn that they were splitting the batches.
Decline the second bitch. Be courteous. Progesterone testing and vets cost money to bitch owners. Misses are expensive!

Re: Re: Stud service to rwo bitches at once

I agree also. I would not split the collection. The only time I tryed this one bitch did not have puppys. I felt bad. You can collect two days in a row. Ever other day for a few days. Why do one anyway ?

Also the answer is totally dependant on the numbers/motility and morphology of the boy in question. Some can split, some you have to do multiple collections on for ONE successful breeding. Old, diseased & overused boys often fall into that catagory. This isn't a one size fits all type question.

Re: Re: Stud service to rwo bitches at once

By boy was just over two when we did a split-both bitch owners were there and were okay with this. Sperm looked great-there was plenty of it and both girls delivered healthy litters-7 and 9 puppies.

Isn't it odd that when you freeze a boy you can get about 10 - 12 breedings from one collection? Thats using two straws per breeding or over 20 straws with a concentration of 100 million sperm per straw? Sure semen can be split successfully if it is good quality. You can easily breed several girls at once IF it's good stuff.