Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
swollen eyes

I have a 12 week old female that I noticed yesterday one of her eyes looked irritated.
today both eyes are very irritated, bottom lids drooping and third eyelid looks inflamed.

I started putting eye ointment in both eyes and noticed she also has a swollen lymph node on one side, right under the jaw.

we are very dry down here and there is a lot of sandy soil. I figure she might have pink eye, but the swollen nodes don't make sense.
Of course going to the vet in the morning, just wondering any ideas?

Re: swollen eyes

Get her to the vet tomorrow. It could be the start of strangles, but in any case you need to have her seen. Hope she's OK.

Re: Re: swollen eyes

I know this sounds weird, but teeth problems can cause symptoms like that. I had a dog get a splinter caught in his gum, and the first symptom was matted runny eyes, with some swelling. Just an idea.

Re: swollen eyes

In my opinion, i'd get her to the vets as fast as possible....and i'd omitt putting anything in her eyes until you know what you are dealing with.

Some eye drops can irritate their eyes more depending on the issue. If she has a scratch or a tear, could be very uncomfortable for her (stinging or burning for example) and she could even then do more damage pawing at it.

as a comfort level, if their is swelling, maybe just use a warm compress for a soothing moment or two for her. but don't wipe in case something is in there, as it could scratch her eye and do it's own damage then.

:-) just a thought: bees/wasps sting, spider bite reaction?? usually eye swelling is a symptom of that too. Of course, if you are like us here, no signs of a bee or wasp in -50 weather. ;-) might not want to rule out spiderbite either.

Best wishes.

Re: swollen eyes -update

took the pup to the vet the next morning, they assume she was stung by something that caused the reaction. gave her some drugs to reverse the reaction and put her on clavomox and eye ointment.

eyes still have sty type sores around eye lids although they do not seem to bother her as much. Lyph node has gone down.

But today her entire bottom lip / jaw area is swollen with red pus bumps. no sores any where else on her face or ears do you still think it is strangles?